It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC fails as a service for Tomcat on Win 2008 64

Holly Takamura (1112) | asked May 24 '10, 9:36 a.m.
Hi,

My customer and I have followed http://jazz.net/library/techtip/72 and http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?rs=3488&&uid=swg21404257 to configure Tomcat as a service on Win 2008 SP2 x64 connecting to a DB2 DB. We are getting the following error in the jakarta_service log:

CreateJavaVM Failed
Failed initializing java D:\IBM\JazzTeamServer\server\tomcat\bin\bootstrap.jar
ServiceStart returned 2

RTC starts fine from the start menu. I can't find any info on this return code. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Holly

Comments
Brian DiCola commented Mar 07 '14, 10:13 p.m.

Good question.  I got the same error upgrading from 4.0.2 to 4.0.6 

One answer

permanent link
Don Yang (7.7k21114139) | answered Mar 07 '14, 10:45 p.m.
Brian

According to upgrade guide, you will need to
"If you used a Windows service to start the Apache Tomcat server, you must update or delete the old service and create a new one to use the upgraded Tomcat location. For information about running the server as a Windows service, see Configuring Apache Tomcat server to run as a Windows service.

Regarding the errors, most likely it is related service's JVM settings or heap size allocation. Please make sure you follow the link to configure the right JAVA option. You may need to adjust the JVM heap size sometimes and see if it helps.

This forum entry is too old, you may want to raise a new one if you still have any issue with more details.

Thanks

Comments
Brian DiCola commented Mar 07 '14, 11:06 p.m.

Hi Don,

I narrowed it down to one java option

-Xgc:preferredHeapBase=0x100000000

Don Yang commented Mar 08 '14, 4:26 a.m. | edited Mar 08 '14, 4:37 a.m.

that's a good news. do you mean you have to remove this option to make it work in v4.0.6?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.