It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

BuildForge RTC integration

Madhu Gaur (161) | asked Apr 28 '10, 10:38 p.m.
We are trying to do Build Forge RTC integration. Our BF is on 7.1.13

I'm trying to follow the link https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/IntegrationWithRTC#Install_the_Build_Forge_RTC_Serv

which require install of BuildForgetConnectorServer.zip on RTC server.

Doing this I am not able to find any buildforge related info when I try to define a Build Definition i see only these entries
Ant-JazzBuild Engine
Command Line - Jazz Build Engine
Generic
Maven - Jazz Build Engine

What is the right process to integrate BF to RTC ?
What are the steps?

6 answers

permanent link
wang fan (212) | answered Apr 29 '10, 5:18 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Make sure that you have installed BuildForge Eclipse plug-in in RTC client, please refer to https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/RationalBuildForge/IntegrationWithRTC#Install_the_Build_Forge_Eclipse

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Apr 29 '10, 11:16 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
See also the wiki pages linked off of the Build Forge entry in the Build FAQ.

Also note that the BF integration will be included as part of RTC 3.0, so you will not have to install it manually.

permanent link
Madhu Gaur (161) | answered Jul 06 '10, 2:34 p.m.
Even with the RTC/BF integration CI runs on a schedule - Every minute it checks for a change then builds instead of running a build on a deliver.

I'm looking if someone has already written a "trigger" which fires builds on every deliver on individual workspace or anything similar that works in CI environment.

Thanks

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Jul 06 '10, 4:10 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Can you clarify how you would like it to work? Are you using Build Forge, or is this a general request? You say 'on every deliver on individual workspace' but normally continuous builds are driven off of changes to the team's stream (though personal builds on the individual's workspace can be manually requested).

In any case, builds are driven by their schedule currently, and can check whether a build is necessary (i.e. if there are new changes in the stream), skipping the build if not. They're not currently driven by triggers like deliver, though that would be possible to implement using a follow-up action (aka operation participant). Often, though, you end up delivering several changes in sequence, so you don't necessarily want a build kicked off right on the first deliver.

permanent link
Madhu Gaur (161) | answered Jul 06 '10, 4:36 p.m.
Can you clarify how you would like it to work? Are you using Build Forge, or is this a general request? You say 'on every deliver on individual workspace' but normally continuous builds are driven off of changes to the team's stream (though personal builds on the individual's workspace can be manually requested).

In any case, builds are driven by their schedule currently, and can check whether a build is necessary (i.e. if there are new changes in the stream), skipping the build if not. They're not currently driven by triggers like deliver, though that would be possible to implement using a follow-up action (aka operation participant). Often, though, you end up delivering several changes in sequence, so you don't necessarily want a build kicked off right on the first deliver.

Nick : Our build teams are using BF and our team is working on BF to RTC integration and CI work. Right now the builds via schedular is run irrespective of any change. What I'm saying that when user deliver from their local workspace , is there a trigger that can sense that delivery and kick off builds.

permanent link
Peter Birk (501145) | answered Jul 08 '10, 9:07 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Nick : Our build teams are using BF and our team is working on BF to RTC integration and CI work. Right now the builds via schedular is run irrespective of any change. What I'm saying that when user deliver from their local workspace , is there a trigger that can sense that delivery and kick off builds.

Hi,

We don't currently have a way to launch a build from a trigger, but you can file an enhancement on this if you really want this feature, sounds like it could be useful. However, I think we can get it working well with the schedule. When a build occurs on the schedule, you can configure it so that when it does not find any changes, then the build stops and all records go away (not using a build tag). It should be a clean slate for the next schedule. If you set your schedule for every 15 minutes (for example), you would likely not waste any time between delivers and it will find any accepts that have completed before it has checked. Only when a change is found will it continue building. Let me know if you need more clarification on how to configure it this way.

Regards,
Pete

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.