It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How is the green progress bar number calculated?

Matthew Scullion (61) | asked Apr 13 '10, 12:51 p.m.
If I place the 'Plans' viewlet on my dashboard and set the timeline to my project, I get a green and red progress bar showing progress in the current iteration.

If I hover my mouse over the green/red progress bar, figures are shown including 'Work Hours Done'. I would like to understand the exact calculation that is done to come up with that 'Work Hours Done' figure.

I assume it is as follows:

In an incomplete work item, scheduled for the iteration:
- Any time entered into the time spent field, up to the point where this time is equal or greater than the estimate. When time spent is greater than estimate, no extra time is added to the 'Work Hours Done' figure

In a complete work item, scheduled for the iteration:
- The hours entered in the estimate. i.e. if it was estimated to take 10 hours, but actually took 1 hour, 10 hours would be added to the work hours done figure

In a complete or incomplete work item that was not scheduled for the iteration but which a team member has worked on anyway and put time against (e.g. an unplanned, high priority defect)
- No hours added to the figure

Are these assumptions correct?

Also, is there a way of seeing the "green bar" and the "work hours done" figure for the entire project, rather than just the current iteration? I know they should be the same thing, but we have examples of team members working on work items outside the current iteration as they had been planned to be done later but it turned out they needed to be done earlier.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Matthew

2 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Apr 13 '10, 1:42 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Matthew,

have you looked into http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/learnmore/ and into the articles in the planning section, especially
http://jazz.net/library/article/202?

For the questions below: I assume the time spent can get greater than the estimation and would add hours.

In addition time goes by even if nothing is achieved. I assume that goes into the calculation also (something gets red eventually 8-)).

If you don't correct your estimates the incorrect value is probably the one that gets into the calculation.

If you use a Project release plan you see the numbers you expect for the whole project, assuming your project is an iteration containing all sub iterations underneath.

For the estimates also the work assignment of resources to the teams goes into the calculation.

Ralph

If I place the 'Plans' viewlet on my dashboard and set the timeline to my project, I get a green and red progress bar showing progress in the current iteration.

If I hover my mouse over the green/red progress bar, figures are shown including 'Work Hours Done'. I would like to understand the exact calculation that is done to come up with that 'Work Hours Done' figure.

I assume it is as follows:

In an incomplete work item, scheduled for the iteration:
- Any time entered into the time spent field, up to the point where this time is equal or greater than the estimate. When time spent is greater than estimate, no extra time is added to the 'Work Hours Done' figure

In a complete work item, scheduled for the iteration:
- The hours entered in the estimate. i.e. if it was estimated to take 10 hours, but actually took 1 hour, 10 hours would be added to the work hours done figure

In a complete or incomplete work item that was not scheduled for the iteration but which a team member has worked on anyway and put time against (e.g. an unplanned, high priority defect)
- No hours added to the figure

Are these assumptions correct?

Also, is there a way of seeing the "green bar" and the "work hours done" figure for the entire project, rather than just the current iteration? I know they should be the same thing, but we have examples of team members working on work items outside the current iteration as they had been planned to be done later but it turned out they needed to be done earlier.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,

Matthew

permanent link
Matthew Scullion (61) | answered Apr 14 '10, 4:24 a.m.
Hi Matthew,

have you looked into http://jazz.net/projects/rational-team-concert/learnmore/ and into the articles in the planning section, especially
http://jazz.net/library/article/202?

For the questions below: I assume the time spent can get greater than the estimation and would add hours.

In addition time goes by even if nothing is achieved. I assume that goes into the calculation also (something gets red eventually 8-)).

If you don't correct your estimates the incorrect value is probably the one that gets into the calculation.

If you use a Project release plan you see the numbers you expect for the whole project, assuming your project is an iteration containing all sub iterations underneath.

For the estimates also the work assignment of resources to the teams goes into the calculation.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

I have read (and now re-read) these sections, but I am still not fully clear. I understand the planning principals, but not exactly how the 'Work Done' number is calculated. So it's not the complicated "predictive" stuff that I am worried about. Just what is the exact calculation behind work done.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.