It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Incoming changes from build

Mike Denney (462) | asked Apr 01 '10, 9:56 a.m.
We have our Build Definition set up to check for changes every 30 minutes. However, that does not seem to work. The JBE on our build server wakes up every 30 minutes, but never builds anything, even when changes are delivered. So to get a build, I right-click on the build definition in RTC and request a build. Once that build is finished, everybody gets an incoming change for every component that was built. However, that incoming change appears to have nothing in it.

So 2 questions:
1. Why doesn't automated build work?
2. Why does everybody get incoming changes from the build? These changes quickly clutter up the 'Pending Changes' view.

Thanks!

4 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 01 '10, 11:30 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

can you provide a bit more substantial information?

I assume the 30 minutes is set on the schedule tab of the build definition and not the sleep parameter of the jbe 8-).

Have you checked the build log? What does it say when automatically building? Is there no build log at all? I would assume because the jbe starts it wants to build (that means a build starts) something but errors or never gets anything which requires the build to run - which it will tell in the build log. If you load the repository workspace defined in the build definition on the Jazz SCM tab does it have pending incoming changes?

Have you checked the accept options so that the build definition allows to accept incoming changes? Otherwise the build might not run due to no changes.

The incoming changes are probably baselines/a snapshot, in that case it is trivial to accept them - the baseline/snapshot create is made to allow recreation of the files used for the build.
This indicates the build runs from your request, unless you call for a private build it should pretty much be the same as an automatically scheduled build request. So where is the difference or indicator in the build log?

We have our Build Definition set up to check for changes every 30 minutes. However, that does not seem to work. The JBE on our build server wakes up every 30 minutes, but never builds anything, even when changes are delivered. So to get a build, I right-click on the build definition in RTC and request a build. Once that build is finished, everybody gets an incoming change for every component that was built. However, that incoming change appears to have nothing in it.

So 2 questions:
2. Why does everybody get incoming changes from the build? These changes quickly clutter up the 'Pending Changes' view.

Thanks!

permanent link
Mike Denney (462) | answered Apr 01 '10, 12:04 p.m.
Thanks for asking.
Automatic builds have no log because no build is started. The only time I got a build without requesting one was when I first started the JBE on the build server. I see nothing different in that one vs. a private request.

We have both 'Accept' options selected in the build definition.

Hi,

I assume the 30 minutes is set on the schedule tab of the build definition and not the sleep parameter of the jbe 8-).

Have you checked the build log? What does it say when automatically building? Is there no build log at all? I would assume because the jbe starts it wants to build (that means a build starts) something but errors or never gets anything which requires the build to run - which it will tell in the build log. If you load the repository workspace defined in the build definition on the Jazz SCM tab does it have pending incoming changes?

Have you checked the accept options so that the build definition allows to accept incoming changes? Otherwise the build might not run due to no changes.

The incoming changes are probably baselines/a snapshot, in that case it is trivial to accept them - the baseline/snapshot create is made to allow recreation of the files used for the build.
This indicates the build runs from your request, unless you call for a private build it should pretty much be the same as an automatically scheduled build request. So where is the difference or indicator in the build log?

So 2 questions:

Thanks!

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Apr 01 '10, 12:07 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
And you might want to uncheck the "build only if there are changes accepted" to force an auto build always until you have the build repository workspace working as required. Otherwise it will not build anything if no changes are incoming.

Hi,

So 2 questions:

Thanks!

permanent link
Nick Edgar (6.5k711) | answered Apr 01 '10, 4:45 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Please check what you have configured for the build workspace in the Jazz Source Control page of the build definition. It sounds like it's building directly from your stream. You should instead create a build workspace from the stream, and specify that. This gives builds isolation from ongoing changes in the stream.

Note that the workspace must be owned by the same user as specified on the JBE command line, so you may need to change its owner.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.