It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

CheckIn&Delivery:Different behaviour for different menu

mat zanchi (46173) | asked Mar 31 '10, 9:43 a.m.
Hi!
Let's say I have a java file in my project linked with a component in a RTC workspace.
I perform some modifications.
Option 1
I righ-click the file and select "Check-In & Deliver": the wizard force me to select a work item or create a new one. In any case RTC is enforcing the relationship between Configuraion Management & Agile planning. GOOD!
Option 2
I righ-click the file and select "Check-in --> New Change Set": RTC force me to enter a comment to the change set but not force me to link the CS to a Work Item: NO GOOD!

Is this the expected behaviour?
There is a way to limit option 2?

Thanks!

Matteo

6 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Mar 31 '10, 1:47 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi!
Let's say I have a java file in my project linked with a component in a RTC workspace.
I perform some modifications.
Option 1
I righ-click the file and select "Check-In & Deliver": the wizard force me to select a work item or create a new one. In any case RTC is enforcing the relationship between Configuraion Management & Agile planning. GOOD!
Option 2
I righ-click the file and select "Check-in --> New Change Set": RTC force me to enter a comment to the change set but not force me to link the CS to a Work Item: NO GOOD!

Is this the expected behaviour?
There is a way to limit option 2?

Thanks!

Matteo

Actually - that is working as it is supposed to. Let me try and explain:

Checkin is putting the file on the server, in *your* repository workspace. No-one else can mess with the file and it is not affecting anyone else. You don't need to associate with a work item yet.

The deliver part is where you place the file in the stream, and everyone else can see it. They will be notified if they also deliver to the stream, etc. At this point, you will be asked to associate a work item - when you are ready to share what you have done.

If this still worries you, then drag the relevant work item to the bottom of the Eclipse UI. The UI will remember you are working on that work item (you can change it later if you want to) - and will automatically associate the work item with all the changes you are about to deliver.

One useful implication of the two steps of check-in and then deliver, is people can make sure their files are safely stored on the server by a check-in. You can lose your local machine and the files are safe on the server.

Apologies if you know about this already

anthony

permanent link
mat zanchi (46173) | answered Apr 01 '10, 3:20 a.m.
Hi Anthony and thanks for your response.

The two phase delivery works perfect for me.

The problem is that associating the delivery with a work item is not mandatory: only to insert a comment is required.
So I'm forced to ask to all my team members to follow the Best Practice of using work items during delivery but I cannot FORCE tham to do this.

what do you think?

Thanks and best regards,

Matteo

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 01 '10, 9:29 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The problem is that associating the delivery with a work item is not mandatory: only to insert a comment is required.
So I'm forced to ask to all my team members to follow the Best Practice of using work items during delivery but I cannot FORCE tham to do this.

what do you think?

Thanks and best regards,

Matteo

Hi

It is easy to change the behaviour. Your default process is to allow either comments or work items. If you go into the process tab of the project area - you can change the settings there. Let me find the exact location for you and post in a minute.

regards

anthony

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Apr 01 '10, 6:43 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
In Team Configuration, select Operation Behavior.
Under Operations, select the Everyone column in the Source Control ->
Deliver Phase 1 (server) row.
The "Preconditions and follow-up actions are configured" checkbox should
be checked (if it isn't, check it).
Select the "Require Work Items and Comments" Precondition.
In Constraints, in "On deliver, change sets require" radio buttons,
select the "an associated work item" radio button.

Cheers,
Geoff

kesterto wrote:
zanchiwrote:

The problem is that associating the delivery with a work item is not
mandatory: only to insert a comment is required.
So I'm forced to ask to all my team members to follow the Best
Practice of using work items during delivery but I cannot FORCE tham
to do this.
what do you think?

Thanks and best regards,

Matteo

Hi

It is easy to change the behaviour. Your default process is to allow
either comments or work items. If you go into the process tab of the
project area - you can change the settings there. Let me find the
exact location for you and post in a minute.

regards

anthony

permanent link
mat zanchi (46173) | answered Apr 07 '10, 9:05 a.m.
Hi!

I found the solution in a configuration of the Process Area:
There is a pre-condition to the deliver operation that can be set to require the associated work item as mandatory.

Thanks!

Matteo

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | answered Apr 07 '10, 10:57 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi!

I found the solution in a configuration of the Process Area:
There is a pre-condition to the deliver operation that can be set to require the associated work item as mandatory.

Thanks!

Matteo

Good, glad you found it. Sorry I did not reply earlier - I got distracted (for a week!)

anthony

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.