It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC server Memeory Usage report: free Mem (of Current)?

Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k910353) | asked Mar 25 '10, 10:52 a.m.
Using the Web UI, when I am at the server admin page, I can see the memeory usage dispalyed under Status Summary:
Memory Usage
Maximum Memory Allocation 1536 MB
Current Memory Allocation 1221 MB
Free Memory (of Current) 59 %

What is the meaning of this 59%?

When I click refresh a few times, it keeps going down, even to 0% sometimes, and then back to a high number lime 64% again.

Why does it do that and what is it supposed to mean for telling the RAM usage story?

Memory Usage
Free Memory (of Current) 0 %

One more refresh click, it becomes:
Memory Usage
Current Memory Allocation 1113 MB
Free Memory (of Current) 64 %

2 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 25 '10, 1:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Using the Web UI, when I am at the server admin page, I can see the memeory usage dispalyed under Status Summary:
Memory Usage
Free Memory (of Current) 59 %

What is the meaning of this 59%?

When I click refresh a few times, it keeps going down, even to 0% sometimes, and then back to a high number lime 64% again.

Why does it do that and what is it supposed to mean for telling the RAM usage story?

Memory Usage
Free Memory (of Current) 0 %

One more refresh click, it becomes:
Memory Usage
Current Memory Allocation 1113 MB
Free Memory (of Current) 64 %

My understanding of this (and I am sure I will be corrected if I have it wrong :-) is as follows:

Current memory allocation is what is being allocated to RTC now (probably at the OS or JVM level). Free memory is how much of the current memory allocation is not actually being used by RTC. Memory usage (and therefore the free memory availability) will change depending on what your server is doing.

anthony

permanent link
Guowei Jim Hu (1.0k910353) | answered Mar 25 '10, 3:57 p.m.

My understanding of this (and I am sure I will be corrected if I have it wrong :-) is as follows:

Current memory allocation is what is being allocated to RTC now (probably at the OS or JVM level). Free memory is how much of the current memory allocation is not actually being used by RTC. Memory usage (and therefore the free memory availability) will change depending on what your server is doing.

anthony

So use the usage data I posted above, 1221MB out 1536 is aloocated to RTC, and free memory 59% means thta 59% of 1221MB is not actually being used by RTC. After I click refresh which invoke the RTC server to do something and start to use more memory out of 1221MB which is already allocated to RTC, therefore we see the free memory availability in terms of % of 1221MB going down. Keep clicking refresh until we see Free Memory (of Current) 0%, meaning all 1221MB has been used.

But why Free Memory (of Current) turn back to something like 64% after just another click refresh? From the releasing of the memory allocated to the refresh processes just ended?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.