It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RQM context information when running RFT scripts

Richard Duncan (2631) | asked Mar 21 '10, 2:44 p.m.
Does Quality Manager make any context information available to Functional Test scripts via the adapter? Specifically, we would like to be able to determine which Test Case a specific script is executing for. Barring information send via the adapter, is there another way to make an RFT script know which RQM test case it is executing for?

6 answers

permanent link
Vaibhav Srivastava (2861) | answered Mar 22 '10, 2:42 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Does Quality Manager make any context information available to Functional Test scripts via the adapter? Specifically, we would like to be able to determine which Test Case a specific script is executing for. Barring information send via the adapter, is there another way to make an RFT script know which RQM test case it is executing for?

Hi,
Could you elaborate what is the requirement here ? Are you trying to extend the Functional Test adapter ? If so, the information of which test case is being executed can be extracted using the task which RFT adapter receives. Please refer Quality Management-Execution Framework Resource Specification http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/QmExecutionAdapter for more details.
Note: This is an early draft version.
Thanks
Vaibhav

permanent link
Richard Duncan (2631) | answered Mar 22 '10, 11:18 a.m.

Hi,
Could you elaborate what is the requirement here ? Are you trying to extend the Functional Test adapter ? If so, the information of which test case is being executed can be extracted using the task which RFT adapter receives. Please refer Quality Management-Execution Framework Resource Specification http://open-services.net/bin/view/Main/QmExecutionAdapter for more details.
Thanks
Vaibhav

We have an RFT script that was writtin prior to using RQM. The script is designed to run against dozens of test cases (passed as an input file to the script). We need to be able to associated the script with test cases in RQM and have the script 'know' which one it should be testing at any given time. I was hoping *not* to have to write an adapter extension if I could avoid it...

permanent link
Vaibhav Srivastava (2861) | answered Mar 23 '10, 12:45 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,
Thanks
Vaibhav

We have an RFT script that was writtin prior to using RQM. The script is designed to run against dozens of test cases (passed as an input file to the script). We need to be able to associated the script with test cases in RQM and have the script 'know' which one it should be testing at any given time. I was hoping *not* to have to write an adapter extension if I could avoid it...
For this scenario, you could pass the TestCase name as an Execution argument of the Test Script (Open a Functional test script and see the Script arguments). For this you won't need to extend the adapter.

permanent link
Richard Duncan (2631) | answered Mar 23 '10, 3:39 p.m.

Hi,
Thanks
Vaibhav

For this scenario, you could pass the TestCase name as an Execution argument of the Test Script (Open a Functional test script and see the Script arguments). For this you won't need to extend the adapter.

We looked at this, but it appears that the execution argument is associated with the script and we didn't see how to change it for each test case the script might be associated with. Is there a way to do this?

permanent link
Vaibhav Srivastava (2861) | answered Mar 24 '10, 3:26 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,
Thanks
Vaibhav

We looked at this, but it appears that the execution argument is associated with the script and we didn't see how to change it for each test case the script might be associated with. Is there a way to do this?
True, these arguments are associated with a the test script. So, it seems that in the present scenario, before executing the Testcase you might have to update the Execution Argument of the script to pass the Testcase name under execution, which seems to me like a little extra work.
However there is an enhancement 23872: Need to be able to pass values from Test Case/Test Execution Record to test scripts. https://jazz.net/jazz02/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/23872 which seems to be asking same ability.

permanent link
Richard Duncan (2631) | answered Mar 24 '10, 10:31 a.m.

Hi,
Thanks
Vaibhav

True, these arguments are associated with a the test script. So, it seems that in the present scenario, before executing the Testcase you might have to update the Execution Argument of the script to pass the Testcase name under execution, which seems to me like a little extra work.
However there is an enhancement 23872: Need to be able to pass values from Test Case/Test Execution Record to test scripts. https://jazz.net/jazz02/resource/itemName/com.ibm.team.workitem.WorkItem/23872 which seems to be asking same ability.

Hi Vaibhav - I've read thru the request it is exactly the same issue. I'll follow along on the work item. Thanks for your help on this.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.