It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC and Sparx Enterprise Architect

chris brandwood-dixon (611) | asked Mar 15 '10, 10:11 a.m.
retagged Oct 01 '14, 3:56 p.m. by David Lafreniere (4.8k7)
Is it possible to use RTC SCM technology from other applications?

In particular would it be possible to integrate it with Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect for instance?

Currently we're using ClearCase to do this.

13 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.4k33646) | answered Mar 15 '10, 10:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi,

in general you can version any files even out of Eclipse. In the latter case you work on files outside of Eclipse and go into eclipse to detect changes and check in/deliver them to RTC.

It would be ideal If you have an Eclipse or VStudio integration for the external tool. as an example Rational Software Modeler and RTC can be installed into the same Eclipse. Software Modeler uses the Eclipse Team Interface for software version and merge support. RTC and ClearCase provide that interface. This allows to version Software Modeler UML models with RTC as well as with ClearCase.

If EA can be installed in Eclipse/RTC and use the Eclipse Team interface the answer would most likely that you can use RTC as well to version these artefacts.

Ralph

In particular would it be possible to integrate it with Sparx Systems Enterprise Architect for instance?

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Mar 15 '10, 1:19 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
From and Eclipse IDE or Visual Studio IDE user's perspective, RTC SCM
is just an SCM system that manages a file area for them. As long as
Sparx Systems EA just accesses the file system for its persistent data,
and doesn't have any hard-wired hooks into ClearCase specifically, they
should be able to switch to RTC SCM without any problems.

Cheers,
Geoff

branndwooddixon wrote:

In particular would it be possible to integrate it with Sparx Systems
Enterprise Architect for instance?

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 15 '10, 5:58 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
From and Eclipse IDE or Visual Studio IDE user's perspective, RTC SCM
is just an SCM system that manages a file area for them. As long as
Sparx Systems EA just accesses the file system for its persistent data,
and doesn't have any hard-wired hooks into ClearCase specifically, they
should be able to switch to RTC SCM without any problems.

Cheers,
Geoff

branndwooddixon wrote:

In particular would it be possible to integrate it with Sparx Systems
Enterprise Architect for instance?

EA does not use Eclipse of VS (unless it has changed recently) - so as Ralph suggests, you can do the version control of the files using the Eclipse UI of RTC. This would not be triggered from EA itself, but by you using the Eclipse UI. Another alternative is to use the commandline interface, or see if EA has points where it can invoke the RTC commandline to perform the version control functions.

You may also want to talk to Sparx about supporting RTC as a version control option.

Of course, if none of this works out for you, speak to your Rational contact about migrating to Rational Software Modeler or Architect :-) they do work rather nicely with RTC :-)

anthony

permanent link
chris brandwood-dixon (611) | answered Mar 16 '10, 3:53 a.m.
Thanks for your replies guys.

I must admit that I was dubious about whether EA could use RTC for version control.

The option of having to drive the SCM externally from EA isn't an option as I know full well that the users wouldn't use it. It's bad enough getting them to use the version control properly as it is (baselining, labelling etc).

The comment about whether EA uses the file system for its persistent data, unfortunately, is a non-starter as EA models, set-up to be shared by large teams reside on an RDMS (MySQL in our case).

I have posted the same question on the Sparx website, but it never appears to have very many people active on it and so I'm not convinced that I'll get a quick answer.

So at the moment it looks as if we'd have to retain ClearCase for EA version control even if we took on RTC.

The move to Rational's Architect (or whetever its currently called) we'd have to look at very closely, especially with regard to cost, as we're looking at 80 licences.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Mar 16 '10, 5:36 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER

The option of having to drive the SCM externally from EA isn't an option as I know full well that the users wouldn't use it. It's bad enough getting them to use the version control properly as it is (baselining, labelling etc).

Understood. This is often a problem.

The comment about whether EA uses the file system for its persistent data, unfortunately, is a non-starter as EA models, set-up to be shared by large teams reside on an RDMS (MySQL in our case).

Whoops - did not realise this. I wonder how the CC integration works today.

The move to Rational's Architect (or whetever its currently called) we'd have to look at very closely, especially with regard to cost, as we're looking at 80 licences.

If you did want to look at that option, pm me and I can point you in the right direction - this is not really the forum to discuss that sort of thing.

regards
anthony

permanent link
William Byrne (5545) | answered Apr 26 '10, 4:48 p.m.

I have an EA plugin that associates certain RTC work-items with EA requirements.

I created the plugin to help synchronize model based requirements with their respective RTC "Enhancement" work items.

The plugin is a work-in-progress, with limited functionality, and plenty of issues. If it amounts to something that's not embarrassing, I'll follow up with more info.

To answer your question, yes it is possible to integrate RTC and EA.

permanent link
Michael Dexter (9221114) | answered Oct 04 '11, 9:03 a.m.
Hi William,

Did you ever complete the EA to RTC plug-in?

Mike

I have an EA plugin that associates certain RTC work-items with EA requirements.

I created the plugin to help synchronize model based requirements with their respective RTC "Enhancement" work items.

The plugin is a work-in-progress, with limited functionality, and plenty of issues. If it amounts to something that's not embarrassing, I'll follow up with more info.

To answer your question, yes it is possible to integrate RTC and EA.

permanent link
William Byrne (5545) | answered Oct 06 '11, 3:33 a.m.
Hi William,

Did you ever complete the EA to RTC plug-in?

Mike

I got it to a point where it satisfied my needs at the time. I built it to the following version:

Jazz Foundation - Jazz Team Server 1.0.0.2 (I20091211-0451)
Rational Team Concert 2.0.0.2 (I20091211-0451)

Let me know if you want to try it out.

permanent link
Frank Ning (50025119133) | answered Jun 30 '12, 3:54 a.m.

Hi William,

Was the plugin created by you? May I give it a try?

Regards

permanent link
Eduardo Bello (4401922) | answered Jul 13 '13, 2:00 p.m.
 Well, this topic is from last year, but I'll give it a try...

I'm also interested in this plugin and anything about integrating EA and RTC. Anybody here has succeeded in integrating these two tools?

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.