It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Tomcat server connect problem ?

Christophe Lucas (86234948) | asked Jan 30 '08, 11:28 a.m.
Hello,

Am at the early stage of installing the JazzTeamServer-​1.0Beta2a.zip, following the Jazz Team Server Setup Guide (on Windows XP Professional).

When trying to connect to http://localhost:9080 and https://localhost:9443/jazz/admin to verify the Jazz Server installation, I get the "Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at localhost:9080." error msg.

Doesn't seem to be a Firewall problem. Issuing a netstat cmd shows my ports 9080 and 9443 are not used.

When I had issued the server.startup.bat cmd, no catalina log were created. I issued the server.shutdown.bat cmd, a catalina log was created (...\jazz\server\tomcat\logs) with error below (... connection refused ...).

Any idea what could be wrong ? Thanks

CATALINA log:
-------------
Jan 30, 2008 4:10:11 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:372)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:233)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:220)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:385)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:541)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:491)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:399)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:208)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:394)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:343)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:434)
Jan 30, 2008 4:56:00 PM org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina stopServer
SEVERE: Catalina.stop:
java.net.ConnectException: Connection refused: connect
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.socketConnect(Native Method)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.doConnect(PlainSocketImpl.java:372)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connectToAddress(PlainSocketImpl.java:233)
at java.net.PlainSocketImpl.connect(PlainSocketImpl.java:220)
at java.net.SocksSocketImpl.connect(SocksSocketImpl.java:385)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:541)
at java.net.Socket.connect(Socket.java:491)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:399)
at java.net.Socket.<init>(Socket.java:208)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.stopServer(Catalina.java:394)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:64)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:615)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.stopServer(Bootstrap.java:343)
at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Bootstrap.java:434)

8 answers

permanent link
Shawn Lauzon (38174) | answered Jan 30 '08, 12:21 p.m.
All points to that the server didn't even try to start. What was the output of the server.startup.bat command? Did you just double-click on it, or did you open a command prompt and run it? You should do the latter so that you can see what the output is.

permanent link
Dieter Hemkemeyer (2111) | answered Feb 16 '08, 7:49 a.m.
I am having exactly the same problem and exactly the same log file

For a very short time another command prompt shows up and closes immediately.

-----------
C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>rem Unset JAVA_HOME because we really want to use the JRE that is bundled.

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>rem Also, Tomcat will complain if JAVA_HOME is set to a JRE instead of a JDK

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>rem and that should be avoided

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set OLD_JAVA_HOME=

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set JAVA_HOME=

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set START_DIR=C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set ORACLE_JDBC=C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\\oracle

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set JRE_HOME=C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\win32\ibm-java2-i386-50\jre

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set CATALINA_HOME=C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\tomcat

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set CATALINA_OPTS=-Dcom.ibm.team.server.configURL=file:///"C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server"/teamserver.properties-Dlog4j.configuration=file:///"C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server"/log4j.properties

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>set JAVA_OPTS=-Djava.awt.headless=true -DORACLE
_JDBC=C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\\oracle -Dorg.eclipse.emf.ecore.plugin.Ec
orePlugin.doNotLoadResourcesPlugin=true -Xmx700M

C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server>call "C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\tomcat"\
bin\startup.bat
Using CATALINA_BASE: C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_HOME: C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\tomcat
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\tomcat\temp
Using JRE_HOME: C:\Program Files\IBM\jazz\server\win32\ibm-java2-i386-50\
jre

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered Feb 16 '08, 4:54 p.m.
I am getting the same issue and could not find a way to fix.

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered Feb 17 '08, 4:16 p.m.
I tried to install Team Server 1.0 Beta 2a in two different XP machines and got the same problem: can not put server to run.
Then I set up the environment variables by hand and executed the command "catalina run" inside Tomcat\bin directory. Then I could see the following error message:
The java class is not found: Files\jazz\server\oracle
I saw that ORACLE_JDBC variable is defined as C:\Program Files\jazz\server\oracle but I dont have oracle directory in my machine.
Any idea?

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered Feb 17 '08, 5:08 p.m.
Resolved.
I installed the jazz package in C:\ and now it works. Then I went to bug tracking and there is a work item 26811 with this issue. I know that is a beta version, but because that is not so obvious, I guess the jazz package could have a readme.first file with critical issues to avoid contributors to spend hours trying to put jazz to run.
:(

permanent link
Dieter Hemkemeyer (2111) | answered Feb 18 '08, 3:38 a.m.
yep, I was able to solve the issue as well by installing under c:\
Dieter

permanent link
Christophe Lucas (86234948) | answered Feb 24 '08, 1:35 p.m.
Thanks all, your posts solved my problem as well ...

Defect 26811 mentions the Problem when installing under 'Program Files' directory (https://jazz.net/jazz/web/projects/Jazz%20Project#action=com.ibm.team.workitem.viewWorkItem&id=26811).
Actually also a problem when installing e.g. to C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\My Documents\$user\...

But so, extracting the zip file into a C:\JazzTeamServer-1.0Beta2a empty folder, then installing, works also (i.e. it doesn't have to be exactly C:\) ... now http://localhost:9080 and https://localhost:9443/jazz/admin work just fine !

Xophe

permanent link
carlos roberto (21443030) | answered Feb 25 '08, 6:35 a.m.
This issue has been fixed but I guess it is due to the space used in path names that is typical is Windows but not in Unix.
:D

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.