It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How can I list Test Cases by Owner in a Test Plan?

Kim Werner (6683) | asked Jan 11 '10, 12:42 p.m.
I have a number of Test Cases assigned to different Team members on Different Test Plans in the same Project Area. I want to generate a list of all of the Test Cases - sorted by Owner - for a given test plan.

I can't seem to build a work-item query for it since Test case isn't a work item. I can't find a default report that shows this. I also can't change the view (to add a column that says owner) in the View Test Cases in the TestPlan view.

I am using version 2.0.0.1 of RQM.

This should be a very simple thing right? Any help would be appreciated. Please list steps and any add-ons if necessary.

Thnx

7 answers

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Jan 19 '10, 1:20 p.m.
I have a number of Test Cases assigned to different Team members on Different Test Plans in the same Project Area. I want to generate a list of all of the Test Cases - sorted by Owner - for a given test plan.

I can't seem to build a work-item query for it since Test case isn't a work item. I can't find a default report that shows this. I also can't change the view (to add a column that says owner) in the View Test Cases in the TestPlan view.

This should be a very simple thing right? Any help would be appreciated. Please list steps and any add-ons if necessary.

Thnx

I was wondering if anyone could answer this??

permanent link
Ian He (66105) | answered Jan 19 '10, 2:37 p.m.

Thnx

A test case has an Originator and an Asset owner. Whoever created the test case will be the originator. You cannot change that. But you can always assing a test case to a different Asset owner and use this field to sort your test case. By default, the Asset owner may not be displayed. But you can set the display to show this column.

Once you have the Asset owner set, it is easy to get what you want:
1) Open a test plan
2) Go to the Test Cases section
3) Use Group By Asset Owner option
You will see all test cases for this test plan grouped by Asset owner.

For step 3) you can also not using group function, just use the column function to sort the Asset Owner column will do it. But I list the group function because it gives you the Asset owner name and a list of test cases under it.

Hope this can help you.

One thing you should know is that you have to do this everytime you lonin because RQM cannot save the configured view.

I was wondering if anyone could answer this??

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Jan 19 '10, 2:38 p.m.

What fields are you using to assign an Owner to a test case? Also, what RQM Process is being used for this project?

permanent link
Kim Werner (6683) | answered Feb 04 '10, 5:56 p.m.

What fields are you using to assign an Owner to a test case? Also, what RQM Process is being used for this project?

We were actually just leaving it default to be the originator. I have a very silly questions:

There is no Asset Owner or Owner attribute for the Test Case. Are you implying that I create a category called Owner or Asset Owner? That seems to be the only way to do that and have it appear on a list.

permanent link
David Moss (171156) | answered Feb 15 '10, 2:28 p.m.
A test case has an Originator and an Asset owner. Whoever created the test case will be the originator. You cannot change that. But you can always assing a test case to a different Asset owner and use this field to sort your test case.

My previous question is still unanswered...is this "Asset Owner" a custom category you added? Or is this something provided by choosing a particular RQM process?

permanent link
Pratik Bengali (2651) | answered Mar 09 '10, 5:13 p.m.
Where is the "Asset Owner" field in Test Case? Please clarify. Thanks.

permanent link
John Nason (2.4k1012) | answered Mar 10 '10, 5:07 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Right now there is only an "Originator".
Users can effectively be assigned sections through the "create workitem" functionality. I.e., I create a Test Plan and create a workitem for a colleague to fill in the Summary.

We have *many* requests and workitems to add a general Owner to our artifacts. Just search our workitems for "test case owner" or similar.

Regards,
John Nason

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.