It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Sudden inflation in data warehouse.

Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | asked Jan 05 '10, 9:15 a.m.
Scenario: RTC 1.0.0.1 migrated to 2.0.0.1 successfully. A week or so ago the rtc server process began dying with out of memory exception. Yesterday I noticed:

com.ibm.team.reports.service.internal.ReportRestService.postRenderReport
by xiexiong@xx.ibm.com, 1 days, 07:53:57:617 running time

in the Active Services pages. I don't know (yet) the exact report this user is attempting to run, but spot checks of reports seem to work fine. However, I found a "Data Warehouse Metrics" report which I ran and when I saw one table with 3.5 million rows it really caught my attention. Running the report back 6 months it shows an *instant* jump from about 750,000 rows to just over 3 million. This may be due to the changes in the RTC 2.0.

Drilling into the data it appears that the WORKITEM_STATES table is the culprit with the massive row count. I just ran a db2 reorgchk and the statistics for the WORKITEM_STATES table and its indexes look fine.

Q: Is this massive change expected upon a migration ?

Q: Could *bad* reports be causing this server grief ?

6 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 05 '10, 10:02 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Scenario: RTC 1.0.0.1 migrated to 2.0.0.1 successfully. A week or so ago the rtc server process began dying with out of memory exception. Yesterday I noticed:

in the Active Services pages. I don't know (yet) the exact report this user is attempting to run, but spot checks of reports seem to work fine. However, I found a "Data Warehouse Metrics" report which I ran and when I saw one table with 3.5 million rows it really caught my attention. Running the report back 6 months it shows an *instant* jump from about 750,000 rows to just over 3 million. This may be due to the changes in the RTC 2.0.

Drilling into the data it appears that the WORKITEM_STATES table is the culprit with the massive row count. I just ran a db2 reorgchk and the statistics for the WORKITEM_STATES table and its indexes look fine.

Hi

Don't know the cause - but check you are running the server with at least 1.5 G of memory for the VM. This appears to be the new default on RTC 2.0.0.2 - and it should give you enough memory headroom while the problem is investigated.

What database are you using?

anthony

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered Jan 05 '10, 10:05 a.m.

Hi

Don't know the cause - but check you are running the server with at least 1.5 G of memory for the VM. This appears to be the new default on RTC 2.0.0.2 - and it should give you enough memory headroom while the problem is investigated.

What database are you using?

anthony

I upped the jvm to 2200M and that has helped and I sometimes see the allocated pegged to that with a small % free.

DB21085I Instance "db2inst1" uses "64" bits and DB2 code release "SQL09051"
with level identifier "03020107".
Informational tokens are "DB2 v9.5.0.1", "s080328", "U814639", and Fix Pack
"1".
Product is installed at "/opt/IBM/db2/V9.5"

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jan 05 '10, 5:20 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
In 2.0, we changed the layout of the WORKITEM_STATES table. Yes the table has a much larger number of rows but each row has just three integer columns. So overall between 1.0 and 2.0, the data warehouse size (bytes) has been reduced significantly.

permanent link
Kevin Ramer (4.5k9186201) | answered Jan 08 '10, 2:04 p.m.
In 2.0, we changed the layout of the WORKITEM_STATES table. Yes the table has a much larger number of rows but each row has just three integer columns. So overall between 1.0 and 2.0, the data warehouse size (bytes) has been reduced significantly.

I was seeing the issue with long running reports (> 1 day as shown in the server page 'active services'). Fortunately, those have dwindled since I last
restarted this particular RTC process earlier this week. That process was keeping my CPU at about 70% average use. I could never get from the
user exactly what report(s) was being executed ...

Thanks for your help....

permanent link
Rafik Jaouani (5.0k16) | answered Jan 08 '10, 6:11 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
None of the reports we ship with RTC would take > day to run.
Could this be a badly designed report template that one of your users had deployed?

permanent link
melina dee (16) | answered Feb 02 '10, 10:04 p.m.
Thanx for sharing
---------
Data Entry India

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.