It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Install/Setup: Can not connect to a repository with client

Scott Curry (16) | asked Jan 01 '10, 10:10 a.m.
Hello all,

First let me state that I am newbie when it comes to being a RTC admin.

The issue is that the finish button on the dialog to connect to repository is greyed out and therefore I can not connect to any project area using the client. I can connect fine using the web client.

I am trying to install/setup and run RTC 2.0.0.2 on Linux (Redhat fedora) and then access with the client on Ubuntu. I have followed the installation directions (unzip way, not IM) carefully and even tried a complete reinstall following directions.

Here is what I have checked to fix this so far:

* Can I connect via the web client? - Yes, so it is related to RTC client
    * Is selinux enable either on the server or client? No
    * Is the client link files relative or absolute paths? I have tried both and current using absolute paths
    * Confirm using the same version of both server and client? yes, 2.0.0.2 (I20091211-0451)
    * Confirm that port 9443 is not blocked by firewalls. Yes, and the web client proves that to be true
    * Confirm using the correct URI for the repository
    * Even with selinux disabled make sure chcon is done on jre. Check.
    * Check certificate issue. Not even getting to that point since I can not connect with a greyed out button
    * install client and server on same machine to determine if it is some kind of network or machine or OS difference. When C/S run on same machine no difference
    * Search forums for similar issues - all answers found did not resolve the issue

Note, I have checked all the logs files (server and client) but there does not seem to be anything related to this issue in them.

I have spent a couple of days of work on this and still no resolution. I am really at a loss on what I have done wrong. It is such a basic thing. I was hoping installing and connecting to a repository would be done in a matter of minutes but now we are talking days. Why is this so hard to configure? Is there an outstanding bug that I am not aware of?

Any other suggestions or help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

NHOutdoors

11 answers

permanent link
Scott Curry (16) | answered Jan 05 '10, 7:34 a.m.
I see about 180 people have viewed this post but no one replied. I am still very much in need of help and a little surprised no one has further suggests.

Anyone?

TIA,

NHOutdoors

Hello all,

The issue is that the finish button on the dialog to connect to repository is greyed out and therefore I can not connect to any project area using the client. I can connect fine using the web client.

Thanks,

NHOutdoors

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 05 '10, 7:52 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I see about 180 people have viewed this post but no one replied. I am still very much in need of help and a little surprised no one has further suggests.

Anyone?

TIA,

NHOutdoors

Hello all,

Thanks,

NHOutdoors

This is not a problem I have even seen or heard of before (and the other 179 people have the same reaction).

Having the button grayed out implies there is something missing in your entries on the dialog. Can you post the entries in the dialog here?

Also - check your JVM and GUI libraries are the correct versions (or post the version here so we can collectively check them)

anthony

permanent link
Scott Curry (16) | answered Jan 05 '10, 8:55 p.m.
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate that I may not have provided all the information you need to help with this. Here is the requested information:

client JVM version:

java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pxi32dev-20091106a (SR11 ))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32 j9vmxi3223-20091104 (JIT enabled)
J9VM - 20091103_45935_lHdSMr
JIT - 20091016_1845_r8
GC - 20091026_AA)
JCL - 20091106

server JVM version:

java version "1.5.0"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build pxi32dev-20091106a (SR11 ))
IBM J9 VM (build 2.3, J2RE 1.5.0 IBM J9 2.3 Linux x86-32 j9vmxi3223-20091104 (JIT enabled)
JIT - 20091016_1845_r8
GC - 20091026_AA)
JCL - 20091106

Repo Config screen shot (using the local install to avoid network issues):

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5MXDxcJDGS_rnL5y-Hxb0g?feat=directlink

TIA,
NHOutdoors

This is not a problem I have even seen or heard of before (and the other 179 people have the same reaction).

Having the button grayed out implies there is something missing in your entries on the dialog. Can you post the entries in the dialog here?

Also - check your JVM and GUI libraries are the correct versions (or post the version here so we can collectively check them)

anthony

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Jan 05 '10, 9:44 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
This is very strange. Indeep, the finish button looks disabled, but there is no reason for that.

For fun, in the Eclipse based client can you open the Error Log view and see if there are any errors in the log that may provide a hint? Other than that, I have no ideas at all. We all run Ubuntu here and don't have problems with 2.0.0.2.

Last resort, because we should really get to the bottom of this, is to VNC into your machine and poke around.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 06 '10, 3:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate that I may not have provided all the information you need to help with this. Here is the requested information:

client JVM version:

java version "1.5.0"
JIT - 20091016_1845_r8
GC - 20091026_AA)
JCL - 20091106

server JVM version:

java version "1.5.0"
JIT - 20091016_1845_r8
GC - 20091026_AA)
JCL - 20091106

Repo Config screen shot (using the local install to avoid network issues):

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5MXDxcJDGS_rnL5y-Hxb0g?feat=directlink

TIA,
NHOutdoors

anthony

No problem - thanks for gathering all this info.

Seeing as we are grasping at straws here - what happens if your URI has an extra / at the end - like this:

https://localhost:9443/jazz/

anthony

permanent link
Christophe Elek (2.9k13021) | answered Jan 06 '10, 8:14 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Umm, this is the isvalid of the Repo Creation

return (fUserID != null && fUserID.trim().length() > 0) && (fURI != null && fURI.trim().length() > 0) && (MIN_TIMOUT <= fTimeout && fTimeout <= MAX_TIMOUT);

the userid is not null, the URI is not null
the timeout by default is 8 min but we seem to use the system property
PROPERTY_SOCKET_TIMEOUT = "com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServerConfiguration.socketTimeout"; //$NON-NLS-1$

So I would vouch for a timeout issue.
1) anything in the .log ?
2) can you pass a -Dcom.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServerConfiguration.socketTimeout=480000
3) if this fails, we will create a debug jar for you to try

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 06 '10, 12:19 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Umm, this is the isvalid of the Repo Creation

return (fUserID != null && fUserID.trim().length() > 0) && (fURI != null && fURI.trim().length() > 0) && (MIN_TIMOUT <= fTimeout && fTimeout <= MAX_TIMOUT);

the userid is not null, the URI is not null
the timeout by default is 8 min but we seem to use the system property
PROPERTY_SOCKET_TIMEOUT = "com.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServerConfiguration.socketTimeout"; //$NON-NLS-1$

So I would vouch for a timeout issue.
1) anything in the .log ?
2) can you pass a -Dcom.ibm.team.repository.common.transport.TeamServerConfiguration.socketTimeout=480000
3) if this fails, we will create a debug jar for you to try

Hi Christophe - not sure this is the problem as he can't even get to the point he could click the Finish button. It's almost like the GUI is losing its state and not enabling the button correctly. This feels like a GUI library problem - like not having the right underlying library version or similar.

NHOutdoors - are you perhaps running a 64-bit OS? Can you provide a bit more info on the version of the OS on the client, and xlib versions if you have them.

anthony

permanent link
Christophe Elek (2.9k13021) | answered Jan 06 '10, 12:27 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
oh, sorry , I misexplained.
this code I presented is used to define if the button is enabled of not :)
So if the value returned is 'false' then the button is grayed out if the value is 'true' the customer can click the button.

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Jan 07 '10, 9:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
oh, sorry , I misexplained.
this code I presented is used to define if the button is enabled of not :)
So if the value returned is 'false' then the button is grayed out if the value is 'true' the customer can click the button.

No problem - I see what you mean now.

I have also been checking the installation notes - they talk about the following things that are different about Linux installs:

# If Security-Enhanced Linux (SELinux) is enabled, you must disable it or change the security context of the Java Runtime Environment (JREs) to allow text relocation in order to install and run Rational Team Concert. For more information, see Installing Rational Team Concert with Security-Enhanced Linux.
# The Jazz Team Server installation path names must not contain spaces. The startup script (JazzInstallDir/server/server.startup) and the repository tools script (JazzInstallDir/server/repotools.sh) detect and report this problem.
# Increase the maximum number of files that the Apache Tomcat user can handle to 5000. On Redhat Enterprise Linux, you can do this by adding the following lines to /etc/security/limits.conf:

tomcat_user hard nofile 5000
tomcat_user soft nofile 5000

# The Reports component requires that 32-bit X11 libraries be installed on the server. On Redhat Enterprise Linux 5, the required packages are libXp, libXinerama, mesa-libGL, and compat-libstdc++-33.
# If you are installing DB2 on Linux, set the shmmax 1GB.
# When running the Jazz Team Server, there are logs and other files (such as tomcat.users if used) that can be modified and written in the Jazz installation directory. For all users to be able to write to the installed directory, you must manually grant write permissions to the JazzInstallDir.

Given you have checked the selinix stuff already - I assume everything else has been checked too.

anthony

permanent link
Scott Curry (16) | answered Jan 07 '10, 10:53 p.m.
Hello all,

I appreciate all the assistance and ideas to fix the issue.

I actually found a fix myself. Apparently it is bug in eclipse for GTK versions. Here is the fix from the blog post I found:
"Bug 287307 was filed with the Eclipse foundation and this is fixed for the upcoming 3.6 release.

Fortunately, the GTK+ people provide a switch to turn off the client side windows. So to work around the bug with Eclipse pre-3.6, just make sure you set environment variable GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1

#!/bin/sh
export GDK_NATIVE_WINDOWS=1
/home/koen/eclipse-galileo/eclipse
"

I hope this helps anyone else who may run into this. Supposedly this will be fixed in eclipse 3.6. So naturally, my question is do you know when eclipse 3.6 will be supported in Jazz/RTC?

Thanks again for all the suggestions.

NHOutdoors

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.