It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

No personal dashboard

Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | asked Dec 18 '09, 11:57 a.m.
I am working with a user who has an account in our RTC repository but no personal dashboard was created for her. It is my understanding that a personal dashboard should be created by default. While she could create a dashboard I am more interested in why one does not already exist. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

7 answers

permanent link
Anthony Kesterton (7.5k9180136) | answered Dec 18 '09, 5:32 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I am working with a user who has an account in our RTC repository but no personal dashboard was created for her. It is my understanding that a personal dashboard should be created by default. While she could create a dashboard I am more interested in why one does not already exist. Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks.

That is strange - what version of RTC (Express/Std/Ent) and release (2.0, etc). What license is assigned to that users (Developer/Contributor/etc)

anthony

permanent link
Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | answered Jan 05 '10, 5:00 p.m.

Thanks.

That is strange - what version of RTC (Express/Std/Ent) and release (2.0, etc). What license is assigned to that users (Developer/Contributor/etc)

anthony

Enterprise
Floating Contributor

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered Jan 05 '10, 5:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm guessing you meant "profile dashboard". In 1.x these were special singleton dashboards that were always there and functioned as a profile page, or user home. You also have private personal dashboards which need to be explicitly created, you can have as many as you want, and other users can't view them.

In 2.0, profile dashboards were replaced by two things - a more static fixed-format (non-dashboard) user profile where it shows standard info about the user (user links should bring you to the profile), and dashboard sharing. The profile is more like the team and project editors in the rich client.

Dashboard sharing means you can take any of your private personal dashboards and share them with others so others can view them. There is a button in the toolbar for sharing. You can share as many dashboards as you like.

In order to not lose the existing profile dashboards when migrating from 1.x to 2.0, they were converted into shared private dashboards, and they kept their titles so they're still there. Users can delete them or keep using them if they like. However they are no longer automatically created when a new user joins.

So my guess is that you upgraded to 2.0, and this user was added after, or they were created before but never modified their default profile. Profile dashboards were transient (created everytime from template) until the owner made a modification.

permanent link
Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | answered Jan 05 '10, 6:15 p.m.
I'm guessing you meant "profile dashboard". In 1.x these were special singleton dashboards that were always there and functioned as a profile page, or user home. You also have private personal dashboards which need to be explicitly created, you can have as many as you want, and other users can't view them.

In 2.0, profile dashboards were replaced by two things - a more static fixed-format (non-dashboard) user profile where it shows standard info about the user (user links should bring you to the profile), and dashboard sharing. The profile is more like the team and project editors in the rich client.

Dashboard sharing means you can take any of your private personal dashboards and share them with others so others can view them. There is a button in the toolbar for sharing. You can share as many dashboards as you like.

In order to not lose the existing profile dashboards when migrating from 1.x to 2.0, they were converted into shared private dashboards, and they kept their titles so they're still there. Users can delete them or keep using them if they like. However they are no longer automatically created when a new user joins.

So my guess is that you upgraded to 2.0, and this user was added after, or they were created before but never modified their default profile. Profile dashboards were transient (created everytime from template) until the owner made a modification.

Ah, I think that this may explain it. Yes, I was referring to a profile dashboard. As I understand what you have written this nets out that someone without a dashboard (either due to new user or never modifying the previous default) needs to create a private dashboard. Correct?

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered Jan 06 '10, 10:39 a.m.
Yes, if you want the user to have a profile dashboard, they should create a personal dashboard using the Create Dashboard button, rename it to "<Name>'s Profile", and share it with all projects so that everyone can see it.

permanent link
Kevin Zemanek (2454825) | answered Jan 06 '10, 10:46 a.m.
Yes, if you want the user to have a profile dashboard, they should create a personal dashboard using the Create Dashboard button, rename it to "<Name>'s Profile", and share it with all projects so that everyone can see it.

Thanks very much.

Just out of curiosity, was this change documented in the release notes or elsewhere? I did read through the "What's new in 2.0?" but I may have missed this.

Thanks again.

permanent link
Curtis d'Entremont (1.3k3) | answered Jan 06 '10, 11:45 a.m.
It's briefly mentioned in the "Sharing personal dashboards" section of the What's New:

https://jazz.net/downloads/rational-team-concert/releases/2.0?p=news

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.