It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Power BI / Excel data from Rational Concert

Tom James (11) | asked Jun 19, 8:05 a.m.

Hi, 

We use Rational Quality Manager at my workplace and are looking to get reports and queries directly in Excel or Power BI using the live data connection. 

Unfortunately trying to use this in Excel OR Power BI leads me to just get back the login screen for Rational.

Does anyone know how to actually get data to return using this method? I have tried some other forum post answers but they don't allow me to get data just the login screen. 

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Jun 19, 10:50 a.m. | edited Jun 19, 10:53 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Except the rootservices document, you can not access anything on a Jazz Server without being authenticated. It is simply impossible. It would be necessary to understand how to authenticate. I believe you can export JRS reports to Excel and look how that authentication works. 

One form of authentication is explained here: https://rsjazz.wordpress.com/2021/10/15/elm-authentication/ OAuth is also a way that could be used.

One answer

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.4k217) | answered Jun 19, 8:15 p.m.
PowerBI is a fiddly thing to integrate with. 

I've helped several clients do it as the 'ELM expert', not the PowerBI expert - the main issue appears to be that the connection can only be done in the PowerBI client because you have to set up an authenticated connection, and OAuth2 (or any of the other approaches supported by ELM) in PowerBI is only available as a custom connector, which apparently is only available in the client?

This means that data can only be pulled into PowerBI as a manual process via the desktop, and so most of my clients ended up creating a Report Builder report and saving it as a live Excel spreadsheet, then setting up PowerBI to suck the spreadsheet in.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.