It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

User creation in JTS/ELM using Java Libraries.

Krishna Koppera (1111) | asked Dec 06 '23, 8:26 a.m.
edited Dec 06 '23, 8:29 a.m.

I want to create a user in JTS using Java. I am able to achieve this in two ways. But both of these ways has its limitations.

First Method : Using IConbributorManager. 
  • I am able to add a new user to JTS using IContributorManager and it is getting reflected in the Active Users immediately.
  • Limitation : Using this method neither I am able to set my own password to the user at the time of creation nor I can add my user to any groups such as JazzAdmins, JazzProjectAdmins, JazzGuests and JazzUsers.

Second Method : Using IExternalUserRegistryMananger.
  • Using this method I am able to create a new user with my own password and add the user to groups.
  • Limitation : Using this method the user is getting created in JTS but it is not showing in the Active Users page until and unless I import the user using Import Users functionality in the Active Users page. Also while importing the user I have to search the whole user id to select the user that was created.
Can anyone help me with to overcome the limitations in anyone of the methods.

In the first method, it will helpful if there is any way to add my own password to the user.

Regards, 
Krishna K.

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Dec 06 '23, 11:49 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

In a real world setup, you do not add the user to the ELM system. You add the user to the LDAP (ExternalUserRegistry) or other authentication system. Usually ELM has no rights to create users there. This is where the password is set as well.

Once you have done that, you synchronize the user into the system, when you do this, the internal user ID representing that user in the Jazz system is created (IConbributorManager?).

I have not tried to do this, on my own, but I suspect if you have the permission to create the user with the IExternalUserRegistryMananger, you will have to perform a creation of the user using the Contributor manager. 

It would be possible to debug what happens when the UI does it.

The latter option will never work for any enterprise that uses LDAP or JAS.

Comments
Krishna Koppera commented Dec 06 '23, 11:21 p.m.

Do we have any available rest apis that can do this task ??

Ralph Schoon commented Dec 07 '23, 2:01 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

See https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Deployment/CLMProductAPILanding Jazz foundation APIs. Same rules apply of course.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.