It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to provision a Jazz Custom Viewlet

Wolfgang Schlicker (1112) | asked Nov 18 '23, 3:20 p.m.

Hi all.

I've create a Jazz Viewlet which is described under this URL:DashboardHelloWorldViewlet < Main < TWiki (jazz.net)
It works in a local debug scenario with Jetty when adding the plugin to the launch bundles section.
But how can I provision it on a real jazz server instance? Should I create a feature and updatesite plugin project like it is needed for deploying a jazz server extension?

Thanks for any help,
Wolfgang

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Nov 19 '23, 7:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

This is explained in the Rational Team Concert Extensions Workshops last lab. Note that it is not yet updated for 7.0.3.

Wolfgang Schlicker selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Wolfgang Schlicker commented Nov 23 '23, 4:30 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

I'm aware of this workshop part last lab, but this is a "viewlet" plugin and not a "service" with "common" part plugin. The question is does it make a difference in deploying and provisioning these two kinds of plugins or not?  

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 23 '23, 5:21 a.m. | edited Nov 23 '23, 5:22 a.m.

It is a plugin and it is deployed on the server. So the general deployment mechanisms are the same. The plugin mechanism is the same, regardless what extension point you use. So, no, there is no difference except maybe, the dependencies you need.  

If you have no common part, you don't include that.

Wolfgang Schlicker commented Nov 23 '23, 6:21 a.m.

ok I've created the feature, updatesite and deploy projects and deployed the viewlet successfully. How can I figure out which feature dependencies are really needed? After pressing button "compute" in dependencies tab I got two plugins one for ajax and one for dashboard stuff. Now I've added all 5 features which have these namespaces but I guess not all are really required.

<import feature="net.jazz.ajax.jfs.feature" version="6.1.5000.v20220613_1634"/>
      <import feature="com.ibm.team.dashboard.server.jfs.feature" 
      <import feature="com.ibm.team.dashboard.common.jfs.feature" 
      <import feature="net.jazz.ajax.app.jfs.feature" 
      <import feature="net.jazz.ajax.base.jfs.feature" 

Ralph Schoon commented Nov 23 '23, 7:58 a.m. | edited Nov 23 '23, 8:05 a.m.

I described that as good as I was able to in the last lab of that workshop. I suggest to try to follow that.

My expectation would be you want one or more top level feature such as com.ibm.team.app.server.jfs.feature  that themselves contain the other dependencies. One important part of this step in the deployment is, that the information in the feature allows the server to decide, if there are enough dependencies available to start the service/extension. In Jetty you have the whole SDK client and server and external libraries. If you accidentally pick up dependencies to libraries that will not be shipped with the server, the deployment will fail.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.