It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RDNG 7.01: How to save progress? / How to revert to an old baseline? (Without configuration management?)

R J (133) | asked Oct 05 '22, 8:17 a.m.
edited Oct 06 '22, 2:56 a.m.

I've been wondering if you can roll back your project status to an old baseline. Ideally without configuration management.

Comparing the current stream highlights the expected change, but I can't find a function that enables me to do anything with it.
Greetings
Raphael

Edit: Since there is simply no chapter in the official documentation to achieve that I am beginning to believe going back to a baseline is not intended at all.
How do you save your progress if baselines are just a fancy screenshot? (Even if the Compare Configuration function highlights the changes, you'll have to manually type every single change because as I've found copying is not supported anymore.) Manually exporting all modules in regular intervals comes to mind, but there surely must be another way.

One answer

permanent link
Ian Barnard (2.0k613) | answered Oct 06 '22, 6:20 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Oct 06 '22, 6:24 a.m.

Hi R

The whole point of enabling configuration management is, err..., that it enables configuration management, providing additional capabilities beyond e.g. being able to take a baseline and to compare with a baseline.

So if you need additional capabilities e.g. to be able to revert to a baseline and start a new stream, you should enable configuration management.

HTH
In

Comments
R J commented Oct 07 '22, 2:36 a.m.

The aspect that is bugging me though that "saving and re-loading a piece of data" is, as far as I am concerned, not configuration management. Configuration management starts once you have two parallel paths, which I do not need.

I'm not branching or merging streams or try to work with diffs or anything close to that, but try to use a rock bottom functionality of a database.
If I remember correctly that was also part of DOORS legacy in the shape of their baselines.

In any case: ReqIF exports are reasonably close to what I had in mind.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.