It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Work item costumization - custom error message

Ivan Bogovic (9311411) | asked Dec 08 '09, 8:06 a.m.
Is there a way to change text of error on work item save event (etc. some field is mandatory and there is error when i try to save it and its empty), i would love to have this error message customized?

In editor presentation i can change label text of any attribute, but error message will show attribute name and not label text, and i use almost all built in attributes (owned by, planed for, etc.).

Thanks,
Ivan

4 answers

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Dec 08 '09, 8:56 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi Ivan
You can configure what message is shown in the same place the required properties are configured: Project Area Editor -> Process Configuration tab -> Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior: select 'Save Work Item (server)' row in the Everyone column (or where you want to configure the required properites).
When you now select the 'Required Properties' entry in the Preconditions section, you can edit the name and the description of the advisor. The description will show up in the Team Advisor view as 'Reason'. Unfortunately the 'Problem' text (which is interesting in your case) can not be changed.

Coming with RTC 3.0 is the ability to rename built-in attributes which would allow to have the same attribute name show up in the 'Problem' section of the Team Advisor and in Editor Presentations.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Ivan Bogovic (9311411) | answered Dec 08 '09, 9:45 a.m.
Hi Ivan
You can configure what message is shown in the same place the required properties are configured: Project Area Editor -> Process Configuration tab -> Team Configuration -> Operation Behavior: select 'Save Work Item (server)' row in the Everyone column (or where you want to configure the required properites).
When you now select the 'Required Properties' entry in the Preconditions section, you can edit the name and the description of the advisor. The description will show up in the Team Advisor view as 'Reason'. Unfortunately the 'Problem' text (which is interesting in your case) can not be changed.

Coming with RTC 3.0 is the ability to rename built-in attributes which would allow to have the same attribute name show up in the 'Problem' section of the Team Advisor and in Editor Presentations.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Thanks for fast answer (im waiting for 3.0), i have another question if you don't mind.
I cant change label for these built in attributes, Time spent when kind is Time Duration, and also Time estimate when kind is Time Duration.
Also there is Project and team areas, non attribute base that i would like to have with different label. Can you check this please.

Thanks,
Ivan

permanent link
Marcel Bihr, Jazz Work Item team (1.4k) | answered Dec 08 '09, 10:03 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi
The presentations for the estimate / time spent fields are contributed by Agile Planning. Especially the one for Time Spent does not (yet) support a custom label as its label also depends on the settings in the process spec (time spent vs. time remaining). Hover you can file work items against the Agile Planning category if you like.

The team area field has no configurable label as its label depend on whether a team area or only the project area is available (it switches between 'Team Area:' and 'Project Area').

Using a custom label in these situations are in some way 'loss of functionality' and we decided to not implement it in the first step. However on request, we certainly will discuss this and decide whether we want to implement it.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

permanent link
Ivan Bogovic (9311411) | answered Dec 09 '09, 3:56 a.m.
Hi
The presentations for the estimate / time spent fields are contributed by Agile Planning. Especially the one for Time Spent does not (yet) support a custom label as its label also depends on the settings in the process spec (time spent vs. time remaining). Hover you can file work items against the Agile Planning category if you like.

The team area field has no configurable label as its label depend on whether a team area or only the project area is available (it switches between 'Team Area:' and 'Project Area').

Using a custom label in these situations are in some way 'loss of functionality' and we decided to not implement it in the first step. However on request, we certainly will discuss this and decide whether we want to implement it.

Regards

Marcel
Jazz Work Item team

Thank you again,
i will find workaround or just leave labels on English it shouldn't be a problem, im doing language customization on WI where ever i can.
From my point of view full separation of WI presentation layer would be great, but i don't like 'loss of functionality' you mentioned and i trust your judgment. Anyway on the Edit presentation screen Label(optional) field for this elements should be disabled.

Thanks,
Ivan

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.