It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

RTC 6.0.6.1 - Progress of execution items, not updating progress (complexity) of Plan Items

Glyn Costello (14050) | asked May 24 '22, 11:09 a.m.

Hi, 

We have a relatively simple planning structure in a traditional project management planning template. 

We have a custom attribute as a “Complexity” attribute for plan items and we estimate execution items using hours effort. 

I expected that as we log work against and close execution items, this would show as progress in the plan items with the complexity attribute. But a plan item’s progress only shows any progress when the plan item is closed, so 0% or 100%. 

Am I missing something in my config? Do execution items need complexity values as well? That would be a pain. 

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered May 25 '22, 2:52 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited May 25 '22, 2:55 a.m.
The complexity (on one or more plan items) and the estimation on execution items are completely unrelated as far as I can tell. I just set up a simple example and the execution item estimates are presented as rolled up.

I configured a complexity attribute of type integer and configured the attribute mapping etc. 
I added the complexity attribute to the plan item change request but not to the business need.

For all I can see, the complexity correctly rolls up from the change request to the business need across valid parent child relationships.
In addition to the complexity roll up I can also see the effort roll up from the execution items to the change request and the business need.

The progress and load bars seem to show something meaningful.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 25 '22, 3:02 a.m. | edited May 25 '22, 3:04 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please note that the complexity rolls up from closed plan items that have it configured to  parent plan items that do not have the attribute configured as well as that do not have it configured. E.g. in the case below, the business needs do not have the attribute and collect all complexity estimates from the change requests.

Please note that the effort estimates etc. do not roll up to the complexity. The roll up information is presented as additional information on the plan items based on completed child execution items. E.g. Complexity rollup 10/20Estimate and effort rollup | 60/120hours.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.