It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

ERM Workflow - how to deploy to existing CM-enabled projects?

Adrian Haw (2741041) | asked May 20 '22, 2:40 a.m.

How can updates to the ERM workflow in one project be deployed to other existing ERM projects on the server?

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 24 '22, 3:27 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What is ERM? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered May 24 '22, 4:43 a.m.
edited May 24 '22, 4:54 a.m.

The "workflows" available in a DNG/ERM project area are (as far as I can tell) part of the project areas process that is managed in the active project areas e.g. https://elm.example.com:9443/rm/admin?displayBanner=true#action=jazz.viewPage&id=com.ibm.team.process.ProjectAreaManagement .

The initial content is provided by the process template that you select when creating the project area. This populates all the values for the initial roles and permissions. This also includes the default workflow.

When modifying the process it is possible to create a process template and use this process template to create other project areas. Once the process template is deployed to a project area, it can not be reapplied. To update a project area with changes requires this to be done manually.

There is a concept called process sharing, that allows a project area to share its process. Another project area can define it uses the process being shared by another project area. The idea is that the shared process can be developed further and all the project areas using this shared process receive the updates. It is also possible to change the project area from which to use the process e.g. if a new project area was created to host the V2 version of the process.

This is implemented in the Jazz Foundation. This works well with EWM and I think it also works with ETM. 

You can try using this with DNG. I just ran a quick test. I created a project are based on the available template. I made this project area share the process.

I then created a project area that used the process provided. 

I then went into the project area that shares its process renamed the default workflow and created a new workflow there. The expected behavior would be that, after adding the workflow or changing  the name, the change should show up as a choice in the type definition to be picked in the project area using the process.

Unfortunately that did not happen. Although the using project area proclaimed it was using the other project areas process, I was unable to see the changes to the workflow or the new workflow I defined.

So, at the moment, you would have to do all the updates manually in the other project areas. As far as I can tell. 

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/elm/7.0.3?topic=pm-standardize-process-by-using-project-area-process-sharing

Note that this feature is not documented for ERM/DNG. You have two choices, I think
  1. Create a case with support
  2. Create an enhancement request (option after support claims that this is not supported in ERM/DNG)

Adrian Haw selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Adrian Haw (2741041) | answered May 24 '22, 3:32 a.m.

@Ralph ERM is IBM's new name for DOORS NG.

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented May 24 '22, 3:39 a.m.

Wjhat do you consider to be part of the workflow a project of ERM/DNG? 

Adrian Haw commented May 24 '22, 3:52 a.m.

The artifact states & transitions

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.