It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Error log when Importing Work Items from CSV

Kevin Bauer (34621) | asked Dec 03 '09, 11:44 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
We are planning to move repositories (from one RTC server to another) soon. I was playing with Import Work Items from CSV when doing this. I exported data fine from one RTC into a spreedsheet.

When I tried importing this data into a new test RTC the wizard completed and nothing happened (no console or Error Log messages no new work items in my RTC server). Is there a place were info would be logged about this transaction (maybe a mapping failure etc)?

4 answers

permanent link
Ritchie Schacher - IBM (47611) | answered Dec 03 '09, 3:43 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Kevin,

Do you have access to the server error log? Perhaps an exception was logged on the server.

We are planning to move repositories (from one RTC server to another) soon. I was playing with Import Work Items from CSV when doing this. I exported data fine from one RTC into a spreedsheet.

When I tried importing this data into a new test RTC the wizard completed and nothing happened (no console or Error Log messages no new work items in my RTC server). Is there a place were info would be logged about this transaction (maybe a mapping failure etc)?

permanent link
Work Item & UI Commons Team (1.3k1) | answered Dec 04 '09, 4:38 a.m.
On 03.12.2009 9:52, schacher wrote:
Kevin,

Do you have access to the server error log? Perhaps an exception was
logged on the server.

kbauerwrote:
We are planning to move repositories (from one RTC server to another)
soon. I was playing with Import Work Items from CSV when doing this.
I exported data fine from one RTC into a spreedsheet.

When I tried importing this data into a new test RTC the wizard
completed and nothing happened (no console or Error Log messages no
new work items in my RTC server). Is there a place were info would
be logged about this transaction (maybe a mapping failure etc)?

See also http://jazz.net/library/techtip/69

Note that you need sufficient permissions for the import as certain
attributes are created on the fly (e.g. iterations).

--
Benjamin Pasero
Work Item & UI Commons Team

permanent link
Andre Weinand (4811) | answered Dec 04 '09, 7:04 a.m.
We are planning to move repositories (from one RTC server to another) soon. I was playing with Import Work Items from CSV when doing this...

Please be aware that using CSV export/import to move Work Items from one repository to another has the following limitations:
    - You will lose the change history,
    - CSV import/export does not support attachments, approvals, multi valued attribute types, and non-Work Item links (e.g. change set links),
    - Work Items get new numerical IDs, so textual references like 'bug 123' are not automatically fixed.

The RTC 3.0 Plan Item for this feature is Move a project area between repositories (87778)

permanent link
Kevin Bauer (34621) | answered Dec 07 '09, 3:35 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Which log would I expect to see messages about the import? I did not see any messages in the server\logs\jazz.log, or any server\tomcat\logs\*.log.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.