It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Create attribute that can select 'work item' (such as Defect) and automatically fill another attribute with that defect value

Derm Phongninlaarphon (151) | asked Mar 22 '22, 5:52 a.m.

I would like to create attribute that can select another defect to show in another defect.

For example,
I have two work item type name Main_Defect & Minor_Defect

Then, I create Minor_Defect and it has it own attribute
ID: 123
Owner: Derm

After that, I want to create Main_Defect that has attribute which can select another defect
Minor_Defect_ID: 123
and it will automatically fill another related attribute
Minor_Defect_Owner: Derm

Similar to SQL that can have multiple table and can related to another by using 'Primary Key'

Is it possible to do all/some of this?

Regards,
Derm Phongninlaarphon

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Mar 22 '22, 8:41 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Mar 22 '22, 8:56 a.m.

All work item types have an ID and usually all have an owner attribute.

Work items are not SQL tables and you should stop thinking of them that way immediately.

It is possible to create a custom work item attribute of attribute type 'work item'. You can add a editor presentation for that and then you would be able to search for work items, select one and it would store the value. I do not know what this would do in terms of benefits. There might or might not be possible automations. I will not waste time trying to explain possible approaches, as there is no description of the use case and business value or desired outcome. 

EWM is made for linking. You should consider creating a parent/child link between the minor defect and the major defect, if needed at all. There is a reference presentation that could show the parent or children as an attribute. In addition reporting can follow linking easily.

Note that creation of multiple work item types needs to be considered carefully. Fewer is better for the users to understand.

Derm Phongninlaarphon selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Ralph Schoon commented Mar 22 '22, 8:58 a.m.

In general I would suggest you describe what the desired business case, outcome and saving you try to achieve, and not present implementation descriptions. If there are desired outcomes, we might be able to hint how they could be achieved. 

Derm Phongninlaarphon commented Mar 22 '22, 10:14 p.m.

Hi Ralph,

I'm really appreciate your answer, I will tell my team about your suggestion so they can understand that I can't do what they want and we will find a workaround to achieve what they need.

I will come to ask you when we know what exactly my team need to do.

Regards,
Derm Phongninlaarphon

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 23 '22, 2:51 a.m.

IF you can come up with a use case or business problem, that needs to be addressed, you can post that in a new question and we can try to have a look. But, again, posting implementation ideas is not a viable approach. 

Ralph Schoon commented Mar 23 '22, 2:53 a.m.

So the question is what they want to achieve - and why - that caused this demand. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.