It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Migrating ELM Applications from Development to Production Server

Andrew Oltorik (152) | asked Jan 05 '22, 4:18 p.m.

Hi all,

My team has a project set up in the 7.0.1 development environment and we are looking to migrate into the 7.0.2 production environment. Is there any way to easily migrate our data from DNG, ETM, and GCM into the new environment? I found this tool (RQMCopyUtility < Main < TWiki (jazz.net)) , which looks like it might work with DNG, but open-source tools such as this one are most likely not allowed within my organization due to security concerns, so I'm hoping there are other methods.

Thank you!

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33645) | answered Jan 06 '22, 2:15 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Hi,

In general there is no way to migrate single projects from one server to another, let alone multiple connected ones. The Jazz Development team has looked into this several times, but the amount of different use cases, artifact types, the history and all the linking appears to make this a very expensive and complicated feature, so it is not available at the moment.

There are tools around that allow to export and import some data like the one you point to. The RQM Copy Utility was developed by the RQM/ETM team. To be able to share the source code with users, it has been declared open source, as far as I can tell.

Andrew Oltorik selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Andrew Oltorik commented Jan 11 '22, 10:34 a.m.

Hi Ralph,

So the RQM Copy Utility tool can be used to copy ETM artifacts from one server to another. Are you aware of any tools that can do the same thing for RM? I would be interested in any tools/methods that minimize our total workload in moving our project to the new server.

Best,
Andrew

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 12 '22, 3:38 a.m. | edited Jan 12 '22, 3:43 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Doors Next provides the standardized ReqIF format as export and import mechanism for requirements. It is built in and not an external tool.

You might have to use APIs to massage the data.

One other answer

permanent link
Bartosz Chrabski (3.4k12648) | answered Jan 05 '22, 4:23 p.m.

Andrew,

1) First of all the RQMCopy utility is IBM tool and I think Your point about open-source does not really relates here. I suggest contacting IBM support if You have concerns.

2) If You have project that is DNG, ETM, EWM with GC there is no way to move project without breaking links between applications or moving all local streams or baselines. In this case you have to upgrade complete environment.

If You need to move what you have you need to first move every application data separately and later recreate links between artefacts.

If You have many streams or baselines and you want to move them too that will be a problem.

Hope that will help

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.