It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

What is the benefit of Test Suite over Child Test Plan

Rajat Krishnan (70116) | asked Sep 29 '21, 1:30 a.m.
edited Sep 29 '21, 1:33 a.m.
Hello,
I am just curious to know that how test suite is different from test plan in terms of usability for example i  have set of Regression Test cases and now I am in confusion that I can go with an approach to add all regression TC to child test plan and link it with Release Test Plan or add all regression TC to test suite and link it to Release Test Plan , but what extra benefit i can get from each approach

Thank you

Accepted answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Sep 29 '21, 6:51 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

The primary purpose of a Test Suite is to order the execution of a set of Test Cases (where you can use environment variables to use the output of one Test Case as the input to the next Test Case).   A related secondary purpose is to allow you to specify the "roll-up" result for that set of test cases.   The primary purpose of a Test Plan is to plan the testing work of a particular testing team.   So in your case, unless you need to order the execution of the Test Cases in the Regression Test Cases, or need to capture a a roll-up result for the Regression Test Cases, no need to create a Test Suite for them.   If the Regression Test Cases are being handled by a different team from the other Test Cases, then having a separate Test Plan for Regression Test Cases would make sense.   If not, then no need for either a separate Test Suite or Test Plan ... just define a category or custom attribute that indicates whether a Test Case is a Regression Test Case.

Rajat Krishnan selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.