It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

ClearQuest upgrade to latest version or migrate to Rational Team Concert?

Anjuri Kelaiya (3726) | asked Sep 20 '21, 10:22 a.m.

Hi All,

I have ClearQuest version 7.1.2 in my environment. I would like to know what would be the better option, upgrading ClearQuest to the latest version or migrating to Rational Team Concert? 
Obviously RTC provides additional features, which ClearQuest does not have but considering efforts and cost, what could be a suitable option from a client perspective? 
Since both are rational applications, does it provide any direct option to migrate data from ClearQuest to RTC?
I have checked ClearQuest Importer utility in RTC but it imports all the CQ records as defects irrespective of their original type when imported to RTC.

Please let me know on this.

2 answers

permanent link
Davyd Norris (2.2k217) | answered Sep 20 '21, 7:32 p.m.
As an IBM Business Partner and a former IBM/Rational employee, I have done maybe a dozen migrations from CQ to EWM and I would highly recommend this. ClearQuest is actually one of the products that was sold to HCL Technologies a couple of years back and, from what I can see, is primarily in maintenance mode. In most cases, the migration to EWM costs less than your maintenance renewal on CQ and the functionality in EWM is a lot better in my personal opinion.

The Importer doesn't just bring in defects, you can bring in anything - you just have to configure it properly. I was able to migrate thousands of records in a few hours including comments and attachments - the only thing you do not get is the detailed audit history but you get correct creation dates creators, and timestamps and authors on comments, which is pretty good.

Comments
Anjuri Kelaiya commented Sep 21 '21, 6:11 a.m.

Hello Davyd,

Thank you for your response. I tried to use ClearQuest importer function in RTC but it is throwing an error: CRRTC4674E The ClearQuest import wizard could not start. The Wizard runs in 32-bit Rational Team Concert. Since we have 64-bit RTC Eclipse client in our environment, is there any other option available to use this functionality or we have to install 32-bit RTC Eclipse client? 
Please let me know.

Thank you!
Anjuri Kelaiya

Davyd Norris commented Sep 21 '21, 9:30 a.m.
No you need to install the 32 bit client, but you can do this by downloading the zip file for it and running that if you are on CLM 6.0.5 or below.

For 6.0.6 and above, there is no 32-bit Rational Team Concert Eclipse client so you then have to download a 32-bit version of Eclipse and install the EWM client via the p2 Install Repository.

Either way you will then have a completely separate 32 bit client that you can use and just delete after you're done

Anjuri Kelaiya commented Sep 22 '21, 5:04 a.m.

I am using CLM 6.0.6.1 along with the RTC Eclipse client(6.0.6.1), which is not allowing me to use ClearQuest import wizard.  I am not able to find a link to download 32-bit Eclipse client. Could you please provide me the link?

Thank you!

Davyd Norris commented Sep 25 '21, 8:16 p.m.
@Anjuri - please see my comment above:

"For 6.0.6 and above, there is no 32-bit Rational Team Concert Eclipse client so you then have to download a 32-bit version of Eclipse and install the EWM client via the p2 Install Repository."

permanent link
Chidambaram L (23414077) | answered Sep 21 '21, 10:49 a.m.

Depends on the current integrations of CQ & decision from your stakeholders.

RTC is definitely recommended.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.