It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Agile Planning

Guy Slade (64158) | asked Nov 19 '09, 11:47 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Scenario:
    I am using RTC 2.0.0.1
    I have created a Project Area using the Agile Process Template
    I have a main release and a maintenance release happening at this point in time
    I have created two time lines : "Main Development" and "2.x Maintenance"
    I have created two team areas one for the "Main Development" time line called T1 and the other for the "2.x maintenance" time line called T2.
    I have a set of standard work item categories.
    I created an iteration for each of my time lines I1-Main and I1-2.x
    I created a sprint plan for I1-Main. When I got to the Planned Items page of this plan I see the message "There are no categories associated with the team area T1".
    I associated my standard set of categories to the T1 team and them went back to the plan and everything is cool...I can create work items and see them
    I then created a sprint plan for I2-2.x.When I got to the Planned Items page of this plan I see the message "There are no categories associated with the team area T2".

I can't associate my standard set of categories to T2 as it will break my I1-Main plan.
I don't want to create a duplicate set of categories for the T2 team as that would be silly

Hopefully I have just done something really dumb here and you can all have a good laugh and tell me what I did wrong :D

4 answers

permanent link
Frank Gerhardt (9144) | answered Nov 19 '09, 12:38 p.m.
I think you have to create another set of categories to make your setup work.

I'd recommend using tags for splitting the items in the technical dimension.

Frank.

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Nov 19 '09, 1:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm sure there is a way to do this as although I know RTC are using a different process when I look at their plans under the 2.0.0.2 time line I can see Team Iteration Plans and Project Plans and Iteration plans that have stories in them filed against categories who are associated to the main development time line and not the maintenance time line.

Perhaps there is some permission setting in the process configuration? But it is not obvious if that is the place I need to be looking and tweaking.

Guy

permanent link
Guy Slade (64158) | answered Nov 19 '09, 2:46 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
:oops:

I figured it out by reading the online help of all things....fancy that! From the help....

If your process includes multiple timelines, you can specify a different association for each timeline.

Then I went back to the UI and it suddenly dawned on me what that "Timeline" combo was for. I can select a timeline, let's say the maintenance timeline and then associate the maintenance team to all the categories. The I can select the main development timeline and associate the main team area to the categories.

So I end up with what I wanted.... one set of categories associated to multiple team areas

I have to say that the "Work Item Categories" page of the Project Area could do with some usability focus. The descriptive text is not clear and I wonder about the placement of that combo and lack of any blurb about it on the UI.

permanent link
Frank Gerhardt (9144) | answered Nov 19 '09, 5:38 p.m.
Congratulations! I wondered also what this combo box was for. Thanks for explaining it!

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.