Jazz Forum Welcome to the Jazz Community Forum Connect and collaborate with IBM Engineering experts and users

IBM - Is it really that different?

 I appologize in advance for what may be a silly or misguided question.

In my datacenter I have numerous customers who are "IBM" shops. They seem to use only IBM server/storage hardware and nothing else. Their networking gear is the traditional mix of the industry leaders, but their compute hardware (be it pizza boxes or blade chassis) is all IBM.

My question to the group is "whats the difference"? I have only administered an IBM server one time and that was nothing more than a Windows Small Business Server at a SMB customer's branch office. When people speak of being an IBM shop are they referring to more than just hardware? I know there is a strong relationship between my IBM focused customers and SAP development services.

Also, I understand that IBM's history of writing operating systems goes back before the dawn of man. ....maybe i just stumbled upon the answer? They run something other than Linux/Unix/Microsoft and they do it on IBM hardware? What is the name of the modern IBM OS? Does it vary by platform? If i wanted to know more than can be asked here, where might you send me? 

0 votes



One answer

Permanent link

Main active IBM operating systems and/or HW platforms/servers today:

IBM z (mainframe, formerly OS/390, z/OS); also run Linux
IBM i (midrange, formerly AS/400)
IBM AIX (Unix-alike on POWER); also run Linux
IBM Q (quantum computing)
Plus numerous storage systems.

I'm not attempting to be comprehensive.

0 votes

Your answer

Register or log in to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.

Search context
Follow this question

By Email: 

Once you sign in you will be able to subscribe for any updates here.

By RSS:

Answers
Answers and Comments
Question details
× 28

Question asked: Dec 07 '20, 2:27 p.m.

Question was seen: 2,021 times

Last updated: Dec 09 '20, 12:00 p.m.

Confirmation Cancel Confirm