It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I Merge Baseline 1 changes to Baseline 2? Both use same stream

Jason Maron (111) | asked Nov 14 '20, 3:35 p.m.

here is the scoop. We have a baseline

Baseline BL 1  (Created 2015) -> Stream R
and Baseline BL 2  (Created in 2020) -> Stream R

Some of our developers have been delivering all changes in BL1,  so dev in BL2 can't see them. Is there a way to merge BL1 into BL2  so that BL2 has all the BL1 changes?

Comments
Geoffrey Clemm commented Nov 15 '20, 12:31 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

What is "Baseline BL 1  (Created 2015) -> Stream R" intended to mean?

It might mean that you created Baseline BL1 on Stream R in 2015, but you create snapshots on streams, not baselines.
When you say "delivered all changes in BL1" ... delivered them to which stream?
What do you mean by "dev in BL2"?   A baseline cannot change, so you cannot develop anything in a baseline.
Similarly, you cannot merge anything into BL2 since it is a baseline and cannot change ... you can merge (deliver) into a workspace or a stream.

Jason Maron commented Nov 15 '20, 4:47 p.m.

Here are some more details, in a linear time line manner I hope explains what I'm seeing. maybe will help with where we have gone astray.

Day1: Stream R was created and populated with components and Baseline 1 was created

In RTC the GUI shows

Stream R

comp 1 (BL1)
   comp 2 (BL1)
   comp 3 (BL1)

User 1 and User 2 Devs create workspaces

User 1 Workspace looks like
   comp 1 (BL1)
   comp 2 (BL1)
   comp 3 (BL1)

User 2 Workspace looks like
   comp 1 (BL1)
   comp 2 (BL1)
   comp 3 (BL1)

Time passes......

User 2 creates a new Baseline 2

Jason Maron commented Nov 15 '20, 4:47 p.m.
Had to break up reply, part two:

User 2 modifies Stream R and sets it to use these components

In Gui it now looks like

Stream R
   comp 1 (BL2)
   comp 2 (BL2)
   comp 3 (BL2)

User 1 Workspace didn't change and still looks like
   comp 1 (BL1)
   comp 2 (BL1)
   comp 3 (BL1)

User 2 Creates a new  Workspace  from stream R and it looks like

User 2 workspace 2
   comp 1 (BL2)
   comp 2 (BL2)
   comp 3 (BL2)

User 1 delivers changes to stream
User 2 delivers changes to stream, doesn't see changes user 1 delivered.

Could it be flow targets are messed up? could it be caused by changing the Streams listed version of Components?

One answer

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Nov 16 '20, 5:29 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Nov 16 '20, 5:41 p.m.

When you say "User 2 modifies Stream R", I assume you mean "User 2 delivers the changes in their workspace to Stream R".   And when you say "sets it to use these components", you mean "causing R to select the BL2 baselines of comp1, comp2, and comp3".

When you say "User1 delivers changes to stream", I assume you mean User1 made changes in the User 1 workspace, and delivers those changes to stream R"?
When you say "User 2 doesn't see changes user 1 delivered", are you saying that User 2 looks at their Pending Changes view, and doesn't see incoming the changes from Stream R to the User 1 workspace?   If so, this would certainly happen if somehow the flow target of the User2 workspace no longer points to Stream R (so they don't see those incoming changes from Stream R) or if the flow target of the User1 workspace wasn't pointing to Stream R (so the User 1 changes never made it to Stream R).   

But it is easy to find out which workspaces and which streams actually have the change set .. either by looking at the change set history of those workspaces and streams, by doing "compares" of those workspaces and streams, or by using the "Locate change set" function.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.