It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Issues - Exporting test cases from Excel to RQM

Partha Sridharan (2632) | asked Nov 18 '09, 1:48 p.m.
Hi,
I'm finding the following issues when I'm exporting testcases from excel to RQM. I'm using a "RQM Import excel configuration.cfg" for this process.

1)RQM is overwriting the already uploaded testcases when a new a set is uploaded. I uploaded 41 cases yesterday. But RQM uploaded the test cases at the expense of already existing testcases uploaded by others.
2) Another issue is regarding the Originator(Owner) name Some of the testcases uploaded by me have a diiferent user as the Originator. The testcase and the associated test script are different. It is picking an earlier testscript uploaded by another user.

Please let me know what might be the cause of these issues.

4 answers

permanent link
Mark Watson (211) | answered Nov 25 '09, 10:34 a.m.
Hi,
I'm finding the following issues when I'm exporting testcases from excel to RQM. I'm using a "RQM Import excel configuration.cfg" for this process.

1)RQM is overwriting the already uploaded testcases when a new a set is uploaded. I uploaded 41 cases yesterday. But RQM uploaded the test cases at the expense of already existing testcases uploaded by others.
2) Another issue is regarding the Originator(Owner) name Some of the testcases uploaded by me have a diiferent user as the Originator. The testcase and the associated test script are different. It is picking an earlier testscript uploaded by another user.

Please let me know what might be the cause of these issues.

Are you trying to upload test cases with Categories designated? I've noticed problems (and I believe I read others on the forum as well) uploading cases with Category information in the upload. If you upload the cases without the Category information, you may find that you are able to upload without blowing away cases that were uploaded previously. Although, I have noticed that if I upload cases one at a time, rather than in groups, I AM able to use Category info without blowing away existing cases. The workaround we've implemented here is that we upload cases without Category info and then just go into RQM and manually update this information ourselves.

I'm still learning all this myself, but I hope it helps!

permanent link
gokul gowda (11) | answered Jun 08 '10, 2:27 a.m.
Hello,

I have tried to export the test cases from excel to RQM by not assigning the category details even then when i export the new test case will be written over the previous test case.

Is there a workaround for this ?

permanent link
Mike Dawson (161) | answered Jun 09 '10, 10:11 a.m.
Hello,

I have tried to export the test cases from excel to RQM by not assigning the category details even then when i export the new test case will be written over the previous test case.

We've had a similar issue, and SEEMED to resolve it by making sure that the sheet names in the Excel workbook were unique and had not been used for any previous uploads - something to do with the naming convention that the Importer uses for its intermediate xml files. You could try adding a date and time stamp to the name of each sheet, for example. I'm not absolutely convinced this makes the difference, but suggest you try it.

permanent link
gokul gowda (11) | answered Jun 10 '10, 6:20 a.m.
Hello,

We've had a similar issue, and SEEMED to resolve it by making sure that the sheet names in the Excel workbook were unique and had not been used for any previous uploads - something to do with the naming convention that the Importer uses for its intermediate xml files. You could try adding a date and time stamp to the name of each sheet, for example. I'm not absolutely convinced this makes the difference, but suggest you try it.

Still no improvement, I replaced the sheet name with unique name like the time stamp , even then the previous test case is getting over written when uploaded .
When i upload all the test case at once from a single excel, uploading will be successful but tomorrow if a upload a new test case, one of the test case will be overwritten with the new test case.

Please suggest .

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.