It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Is there an easy way to import csv with DOORs 9 style heading structure?

Mitch G (2710) | asked Sep 14 '20, 7:20 p.m.
 My client has exported and sent to us a spreadsheet that is clearly from DOORs 9. The "Object Number" column is a clear giveaway. I've tried to import the sheet back I end up getting a flat document structure when I check the "Section" system attribute in a module I have created in DOORs NG.

Is there any mapping that can be done between the two DOORs versions on import in DNG so that I can maintain the same document section structure? 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Sep 15 '20, 3:05 p.m.

Hi Mitch,

If you add isHeading (true) to your worksheet before importing to identify the Heading rows, you can at least get the Level 1 hierarchy.  I then "demote" the children artifacts manually once it's in Doors NG, although that isn't feasible if you have a lot of artifacts.

While you could add parentBinding to your worksheet, that's a lot of editing and again wouldn't be feasible if there are many artifacts.  I've tried it in the past and decided it took was faster to demote the children artifacts after importing.

Good luck!
Carol

Mitch G selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mitch G commented Sep 15 '20, 6:20 p.m.
 Bang on! This worked a treat, thank you very much Carol!

Agreed, for new artifacts I didn't think I could use parentBinding, but I think if I can rexport the now flat structure I might be able to script my way through a bulk setting of the bindings and re-import (maybe using a python/excel script).

At least setting isHeading get the the bulk raised up, cheers!

Carol Watson commented Sep 16 '20, 10:27 a.m.

I'm glad that helped Mitch!  That's a great idea to export and add the bindings.  Hope it works out for you.

Carol

Carol Watson commented Sep 16 '20, 12:39 p.m.

One more thing I remembered Mitch, if you care about the Font, set the Heading rows in Excel to the desired font before importing.  My users like Level 1 to display in a larger font than the rest of the module. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.