It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Accidentally deleted Project Templates - How can I restore?

Mitch G (2710) | asked Sep 13 '20, 9:04 p.m.
edited Sep 13 '20, 10:14 p.m.
 Hi, I've recently just jumped ship into NG from being a long term DOORs 9 Admin, I was under the impression that the templates I were deleting were only for a project level (Manage Project Properties > Templates > Project Templates). However, it turns out I have deleted the templates across the server and can no longer choose from a list of templates when I create a project. 

Most likely not the end of the world because they were the default templates and I'm going to have to make new ones anyway specific to my project. However, it would be nice to know I can restore project templates after deletion.

Are these templates a once off? It seems a little strange that I cannot restore them after they have been deleted. 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Diana Kraaijeveld (56227) | answered Sep 14 '20, 2:43 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
You can restore archived projects, but not project templates.
You can, however, download the templates (they will be saved as a '.archive' file). So perhaps there is a download copy around? If so: you can then upload back to the server trough the same 'project properties' >templates tab.

If you do not have a saved copy of the project templates:
You wrote these were the default (out of the box) templates. In that case you could download them from any other DNG server if you have one. If not: Create a ticket with support and ask them to send you a copy of the OOTB templates.

So if you  do create any custom project templates, its a good habit to download and save a copy, just in case.

FYI: You can download and upload project templates for re-use in other DNG servers. Also you can create new project templates, based on an existing project or component, so you can use that as a starting point for new projects.
Mitch G selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mitch G commented Sep 14 '20, 7:22 p.m.
Amazing! Thanks for your reply! I was able to do just that by navigating to another server and downloading the templates. 

Just curious though why the templates can't be made read-only so that they cannot be deleted, seems a bit flawed when I could easily wipe them away but not restore them. 

Anyway thanks!!!

Diana Kraaijeveld commented Sep 15 '20, 4:24 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
I'm glad I could be of some help :)

Sounds like a good idea to have the ability to make the templates read-only.
If you want you can open a request for enhancement for ERM (Doors Next) for this in the RFE community

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.