It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

IBM RPE Table of Table isue

sreenath v (78167) | asked Apr 18 '20, 2:48 a.m.

Hi When i gave a table caption in dng and try to pull the TOT is coming correctly.But when tried to edit the caption and generating report its not printing.Is it a Bug?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Apr 19 '20, 1:11 a.m.
edited Apr 19 '20, 1:14 a.m.
Thank you for the steps you followed in DNG. Please note that after these steps, DNG (reportable API) will no more return it as table caption. If you see the XHTML returned by DNG - the text is not within <caption> tag and it is outside the table element. Though you see it above the table, it is not really table caption.
You can cross check this in MS Word - Select all (Ctrl+A), right click and choose "Toggle Field Codes". You do not see the field code for table caption (for what you edited in DNG). Since it is not a table caption, it is not shown in TOT.

We have an Enhancement created against RPE to address this.

sreenath v selected this answer as the correct answer

3 other answers

permanent link
Fariz Saracevic (904613) | answered Apr 18 '20, 10:04 a.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

I suggest that you read article on jazz.net https://jazz.net/blog/index.php/2020/04/02/using-captions-for-figures-and-tables-getting-the-most-out-of-ibm-elo-publishing/. There are large number of Publishing articles that could help with your questions.

Comments
sreenath v commented Apr 18 '20, 10:44 a.m.

I don’t think it will be relevant to my question. See i have a table inside dng as requirement. I will pulling the data using richtext/div query so table also come like requirement. The user will be giving caption inside dng table as table cation in properties.

Here the issue first is the caption will be coming in rpe report at downside of table. So for making it on too we can make a align centre options in dng which comes the caption on top table. Here the second issue comes like when we edit the caption to make it align centre it wont get recognised by TOT element.

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Apr 18 '20, 2:28 p.m.
There is a limitation in RPE - table captions are placed at the bottom. But TOT should work fine.
Can you check the style applied to the table captions in your output?Also, which option did you use in DNG to align centre? Can you provide the steps you followed in DNG rich text editor?

Comments
sreenath v commented Apr 18 '20, 10:41 p.m.

In DnG if i give table caption it is coming on down and TOT is working fine.

To make it on top i followed below steps

1.in dng table i removed the style in table caption window and closed the table properties window.
2.selected table caption and align centre option is there in the requirement view.(same as word)
3. Generate report
4. We can table caption on top of table but TOT wont recognise the caption.
5.The tableof table TOC code is \h \z \c “Table”

permanent link
David Clark (2341150) | answered Apr 20 '20, 8:56 a.m.

We have solved this by creating a specific artifact type - "Caption - Tables". Set the artifact that is the table caption directly under the artifact that contains the table.

e.g. artifact 450 is the table; artifact 451 is the caption; assuming you did them sequentially;

Then in RPE when that type of artifact is discovered, the TOT type is applied when creating the report. We do the same with figures.

Comments
Subramanya Prasad Pilar commented Apr 20 '20, 9:43 a.m.

The problem is when an artifact contains one or more tables along with captions.

David Clark commented Apr 20 '20, 10:44 a.m.

Your best approach is to split them up. It also aids in change control and maintenance of the requirements. Too much in one artifact is problematic for maintained. Smaller is better.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.