It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Automating report generation in RPE

sreenath v (78167) | asked Jan 08 '20, 2:24 a.m.
HI,

I have a scenario like we are taking monthly report of all users form clear quest.As of now we using a external variable and filtering the report.So now requirement is like that we need to pass like 20 user name as variable and need to generate the individual  report for each user  and store in a folder. Can anyone give suggestions regarding this.

One answer

permanent link
Subramanya Prasad Pilar (4.6k16) | answered Jan 08 '20, 4:14 a.m.
edited Jan 08 '20, 4:16 a.m.
You can think of 2 different solutions:
1. Using a single document specification file:
Use an Iteration element in the template. Pass all 20 user names as comma separated values for the variable. Using split function, store the user names in an array. The iteration will run for every element (user name) in the array. Use a Document Break element so that the output will be saved as a separate file for each user.

2.Use an external variable in the template that takes single username. You will create 20 different document specification files for each users. Suppose you have thse .dsx files in C:\RPEFiles, you can have the following in a .bat file and run the .bat in command prompt.

for %%i in (C:\RPEFiles\*.dsx) Do (
"%RPE_HOME%\launcher\rpe-launcher.exe" -publish %%i -noresult)
:END

Note: In Launcher, set "Use publish wizard" to "No" (Window -> Preferences -> RPE -> Document Execution) so that publish wizard is not shown while opening the doc spec.

Comments
sreenath v commented Jan 08 '20, 4:36 a.m. | edited Jan 08 '20, 4:41 a.m.
Thanks, Subramanya Prasad,

Can you please share a sample template for my reference,if possible.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.