It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Which application uses the Link Types listed?

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Aug 14 '19, 4:33 p.m.
retagged Aug 19 '19, 1:51 p.m. by Michael Afshar (7014)
Good day,
I have been going through the Link Types that automatically get included in a DOORS NG project for DOORS NG 6.0.6 iFix 10.  We do NOT have any other CLM tools, and we do not have the Global Configuration Management turned on.
I have broken them out according to the applicable CLM application.  However, I cannot find any documentation as to which CLM application the following Link Types are used in.  They are not accessible as preferred Link Types when attempting to add them to an Artifact Types in DOORS NG:
  • Artifact Term Reference (I am assuming with goes with DM and Rhapsody)
  • Elaborated By
  • Elaborates (seems redundant with Elaborated By)
  • Specified By
  • Specifies (seems redundant with Specified By)
Where would the above Link Types be used?  If they would be used by DOORS NG, how would a DOORS NG user be able to access them?
Thanks!
Mary

5 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 15 '19, 2:12 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 15 '19, 2:13 a.m.

Satisfied by/Satisfies - Links can have a direction, these are the two endpoints of one link type in DNG/RM.

The others, I do not see in my sample project. Consider to try creating those links.
You can create custom link types in the DNG project areas Type system.

permanent link
Carol Watson (71016) | answered Aug 15 '19, 9:47 a.m.

Hi Mary,

The only one of those that we have used is the Artifact Term Reference.  That one applies automatically when using the "Terms" feature, whereby you can highlight a word or phrase in an artifact and turn it into a "Term" .  You do have to create an Artifact Type for Terms first, checking the box "Use artifacts of this types as Glossary Terms".

Carol

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Aug 16 '19, 5:19 a.m.

Hi,

I use the following to help understand link types: (from V6.0.4 help)

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/SSR27Q_6.0.4/com.ibm.rational.rrm.help.doc/topics/r_linktypes.html

and also this picture which is not perfect but close enough for conversations.

Full tracebility

Comments
Mary Miller commented Aug 16 '19, 1:10 p.m.
We have a similar one for 6.0.6, but it is not 100% accurate.  I figured I would be as accurate as possible given, at some point, someone is going to ask a question about why they cannot use some of these Link Types. 

Thank you so much!

permanent link
Mary Miller (87125) | answered Aug 15 '19, 10:28 a.m.
 Okay, this helps remove the mystery of one of these.  I am writing some documentation so that people know where these Link Types apply.  Otherwise, I am sure I will get questions later.
I am not sure where the other 4 come from, but they are system generated. 
Thanks!
Mary

Comments
Carol Watson commented Aug 15 '19, 10:34 a.m.

Documenting is a good idea in my view.  I write a Requirements Management Plan for every project (once you have a template it's not that bad) and document all of the Artifact Types, Attributes, Data Types and Link Types.  It's a good tool for on-boarding someone new and it often saves me because it's easy to forget what you set up or why you went a certain direction a year ago!  I tell them to feel free to add any procedural instructions or processes to it as well.

Good luck!
Carol

permanent link
Mary Miller (87125) | answered Aug 16 '19, 1:12 p.m.
I don't think there is any one best preferred answer here.  I think you have all contributed to what I am seeing in 6.0.6

Thanks again!

Mary

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.