It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Question regarding URIs

Mary Miller (87232) | asked Jul 26 '19, 3:09 p.m.
Good day,

I have some questions about the use of URIs in DOORS NG 6.0.6.  NOTE:  We do not have Configuration enabled, and we do not have RTC or QM.

Right now, I am developing some customized instructions that include setting URIs more for planning purposes at the moment.  I think it would be painful to NOT set URIs now, and later discover we need to use them.  Is this the correct mode of thinking?  Are there any other benefits for setting URIs other than what is listed below?

>>>>>

It seems that URIs are beneficial if you have to do reporting across projects.  It also seems that URIs are beneficial when using ReqIF (espcially when migrating from classic DOORS to DOORS NG).

While we do not have any scripts that for DOORS NG, I have a hard time believing that no scripts will be developed if the organization uses DOORS NG for the long term.  I imagine URIs are also good for developers who need to automate tasks in DOORS NG.

Thanks!

Mary

Accepted answer

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k249160) | answered Jul 26 '19, 3:27 p.m.
Hi Mary,

If you ever need to migrate data from DOORS Classic to DNG then use the migration utility. It is way better than trying to use ReqIF and having to set all the URIs manually.

URIs are useful for ReqIF but they are also useful if you just need to copy data between projects. You can do this without using ReqIF using the 'copy from project' utility and take advantage of the URIs to align artifact and attribute definition types.

If you are setting up a template project that will be cloned to create working projects then you should set up URIs for all the artifacts, attributes and types in the template since they may come in useful when you want to copy data between those working projects.

Mary Miller selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Mary Miller commented Jul 26 '19, 3:36 p.m.

Interesting.  I missed this last point.  Thanks!  -Mary

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.