It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

"Configuration Management" of requirements in DOORS NG

Mary Miller (87125) | asked Mar 18 '19, 12:56 p.m.

Good day,

I have a question.  I have some ideas as to the answer, but I want to verify my thinking and not assume anything.  It is not clear to me if we can do change control of requirements in DOORS NG without Rational Team Concert.  Does DOORS NG 6+ allow you to do so?

What are the advantages and disadvantages of not having Rational Team Concert if we want to manage changes to requirements?

Thanks!

Mary

2 answers

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Mar 18 '19, 2:35 p.m.
DOORS NG license includes use of RTC for tasks and change management.

You can manage changes in a less rigidly structured way without using RTC by just using a change register in DNG with 'change request' artifacts linked to the requirements that would be changed.

You can apply a DNG workfow to this 'change request' DNG artifact.to give it some process.

Comments
Mary Miller commented Mar 18 '19, 4:18 p.m.

Okay, thank you!  I have been having a little trouble with the vendor terminology given I typically think of CM as being for an entire system vs. at the requirement level.  I also have a tendency to think of CM as being a process that involves workflows or lifecycles.

Your response seems to fit with my intuition.  My personal feeling (which hasn't changed) is that our team would be better served using RTC as a CM Tool given what they seem to want from DOORS NG.  I will have to see what functionality they are willing to trade off if they decide to use a different CM Tool.  Either way, this will help them make a more informed decision.

Thank you!

Mary 

permanent link
Rosa Naranjo (2.9k11623) | answered Mar 18 '19, 3:08 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
Mary
I recommend you look at the articles on Jazz.net like this one, https://jazz.net/library/article/1492, and our Knowledge Center aka documentation for a 6.x release, to find out more about our configuration management capabilities for requirements and test artifacts.

Comments
Mary Miller commented Mar 18 '19, 4:20 p.m.

Thank you!  This is perfect!  I wish I could mark both responses as the answer.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.