It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to handle RQM Adapters when using docker to create and destroy my test machine

Ricardo Souza (17210) | asked Feb 25 '19, 2:45 p.m.

Hi all,
I hope somebody can help me with this:

Today I have 10 machines running my Selenium Tests, and the RQM adapters are configured and working with my RQM.
This used to work for me, but now I want to give the next step and go to the world of Devops and we are studying to create containers from those test machines, the main ideia is the containers will be created and destroyed after the test.

My question is, If I created and destroyed my container everytime I call a test, everytime a new RQM Adapter ID will be created in RQM right? or Am I wrong?

Plain simple, I need to know how I can go to a DevOps track, when I need a Active RQM connection everytime to send my test to RQM, or connect to my test machine.

Kind Regards,

Accepted answer

permanent link
abhishek gour (3812) | answered Feb 28 '19, 3:52 a.m.
edited Feb 28 '19, 3:53 a.m.
Hi Ricardo,
I assume that you are running your RQM adapters on the same containers where selenium tests are being executed.
Destroying the container would certainly destroy the adapter setup ( and related configuration files which holds information about Adapter ID ). 
But I do not see why you can not connect your tests automatically to new adapters when new containers are deployed via new Adaper ID ( but presumably with same name ).
I assume your problem may be related with how do you have RQM identifying the host container on which adapter is running for your RQM tests.
I think you can consider running your Junit Selenium Adapter with few additional options such as -hostname. This would ensure that your test resource in RQM is identified with this hostname. As long as this name is same for each container, I think you should be able to resolve correct Adapter connecting to run your RQM tests.

Also understanding the RQM Lab Resource may solve your problem. You just would need to define your resource in RQM such that each time container is created, the references to those container in RQM remains same.

I hope I have understood your question correctly and have given you correct pointer to explore in correct direction to solve your problems. If not reply back to this chain.
Ricardo Souza selected this answer as the correct answer

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.