It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Jazz clm behind reverse proxy - new-comer questions

Victor L (112) | asked Feb 20 '19, 11:31 a.m.

Hi,

First, a disclaimer;  I am a total newbie with IBM softwares but I know reverse-proxies, tomcat, web applications.
So, for a test environment reproducing a client setup, I need to setup a Jazz CLM application server (server A) behind a reverse proxy IHS 9.0 (server B). I used the CLM web installer for Windows version 6.0.6 and it seems to work fine.

I have read a lot of articles and how-to but I am still confused with vocabulary and all websphere application server ecosystem. When I go to the root url of my CLM installation, I see "Websphere Liberty 18.0.0.1". A few questions:

- How is "Websphere Liberty 18.0.0.1" related to Websphere eco-system ? I am confused because in IBM knowledge center, products page, there are "Websphere Application Server", "WAS Liberty", "WAS Liberty base", "WAS Liberty Core" ... and none of this product has a 18.0.0.1 version

- If I understand the articles right, the procedure seems to use Web Server plugins, but is it even possible to use them with "Websphere Liberty 18.0.0.1" ? because these plugins seems to be part of WAS not WAS Liberty, and which version should I use 8.5 or 9.0 ?

- If it's not possible with the version I used, should I re-install CLM directly on a classic WAS ?

- Finally, I have already a working installation with a public URL with something like "https://clm606-test.domain.tld:9443", and with the proxy I would like to access it with a URL like this "https://clm6.domain.tld". Is-it too late ? should I re-install and change my public URL to the proxy one ?

Maybe it's because I am not familiar with these products but it's very messy in my head and I would like to understand what I am doing and why.

Best regards,

3 answers

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Feb 21 '19, 2:46 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Feb 21 '19, 2:47 a.m.

http://www-01.ibm.com/support/docview.wss?uid=swg24044624 talks about 18.0.0.1 it was not hard to find https://www.google.com/search?q=was+liberty+18.0.0.1

"Websphere Application Server" is the classical WAS as far as I know. 

The WAS Liberty required for CLM ships with the product and you don't have to get it separately. 

The reverse proxy always has to be accessible using the public URI. The port number, if not setting up with a well known port, is part of the public URI. If you want to change the public URI you have to do a server rename. If you have a test system, you might rather want to reinstall. 

permanent link
Luca Martinucci (1.0k294112) | answered Feb 21 '19, 2:48 a.m.

Websphere Liberty is, basically, a lightweight version of WAS that is bundled with then CLM installation packages.

When you install CLM you can choose to run it on a full WAS installation (in this case, the installation process just copies the CLM web applications on the filesystem, then you have to install and configure WAS separately and to deploy the CLM modules on a WAS profile) or to run it on the embedded Liberty profile.
In this second case, the installation process also installs Liberty, create a profile and deploys the CLM applications on it.
Liberty can be configured (manually) to run behind a reverse proxy.
If you are confused about this topic, have a look at:
Aslo, to check the compatibility between Liberty and Websphere Plugins:
Finally, as far as I know, the migration of CLM from WAS to Liberty is supported, there is a lot a documentation about it.
The opposite should be possibile as well; ask IBM support about it, they should give the instructions.

permanent link
Victor L (112) | answered Feb 21 '19, 11:28 a.m.

Thank you both ! Your answers helped me a lot, in particular the link from Luca.

I have just managed to install Jazz CLM with a reverse-proxy. It was finally easy with some human explainations, good references links and a bit of time to process all of these in my head.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.