It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DOORS Next Generation - Deliver Changes between streams with changes to Attribute_Data_Types

Richard Hall (107211) | asked Jan 07 '19, 8:35 p.m.

I am using DOORS NG 6.0.6

I am confused as to how delivering changes between two streams in DOORS NG works when there are changes to values in Attribute_Data_Types in both streams.

I have two streams (Stream A and Stream B) where Stream B was created from Stream A and an Attribute_Data_Type which has a number of Values

In Stream B I added some new values to that Attribute Data Type and set the attribute in an artifact to those new values.

In Steam A I renamed one of the values in the Attribute Data Type

There are also other changes within Stream A that I want to deliver to Stream B.

When I Deliver the changes from Stream A to Stream B, the Component Properties screen says
"ID CRRRW7803W  Component properties were changed in both the source and target configurations. If you continue, changes to conflicting properties in the target configuration will be overwritten. Deliver the changes and then make your changes to the target configuration again. The following properties contain changes that will be overwritten in the target configuration: <my type>"

And the screen indicates that the new values added in Stream B will be deleted

There is no way to 'reject' the overwrite and keep the current values in Stream B (that I can see)

If I allow the changes in the target to be overwritten and then make the changes again then any usage of the new values is lost and any work will have to be redone (I do not want to have to reset 100s of attribute values)

Is there anyway to deliver the (at least the unrelated) changes from Stream A to Stream B without overwriting the changes that have already been made in Stream B?

One possibility is to redo any changes made in Stream B in Stream A then hopefully nothing would be removed, but I don't know if that would work,

One answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jan 08 '19, 2:55 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Please look at https://jazz.net/library/article/92352 for our thoughts on how to do this.

Comments
Richard Hall commented Jan 08 '19, 12:07 p.m.

If I understand this correctly this is saying that the attribute data type values should be maintained to be consistent for all streams for a component (and ideally be common for all components - which isn't relevant to me)

Thus if you have a value that is used in older streams but no longer relevant to a newer stream it is not possible to delete that value to prevent it being used in newer streams.

Similar if there is a new value that is only relevant to newer streams it needs to be made 'available' to older streams where you do not want it to be used.

Ralph Schoon commented Jan 09 '19, 2:18 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Richard,

I think the point being made is to reduce complexity and have ideally one type system. There are some use cases where you want one base type system and have some custom parts and pieces. 

If you have no systematic approach, I think you will loose track very quickly and start to run into issues. It will likely start to become unmanageable sooner or later.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.