It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Upgrading RLKS

Kunal N (872361) | asked Nov 26 '18, 4:40 a.m.
Hi All,

We have existing RLKS with version 8.1.3 and we in process for upgrading this to 8.1.5. We have below few queries :

1. Can we directly upgrade existing RLKS to 8.1.5..? Did some research but could not find anything related to this.

2. Can we stop RLKS 8.1.3 and then install RLKS 8.1.5 and we everythings works good in 8.1.5 then uninstall RLKS 8.1.3..?

Could anyone help what would be best approach for above.

Thanks,
Kunal

Accepted answer

permanent link
Luca Martinucci (1.0k294112) | answered Nov 26 '18, 9:21 a.m.

1. According to:

you should be able to directly upgrade RLKS 8.1.3 to 8.1.5.
The Knowledge Center says that you cannot directly upgrade RLKS 7.1.x to 8.1.5, but does not say that you cannot directly upgrade 8.1.3 to 8.1.5 (anyway, if you need an official statement, ask IBM support).

2. I suppose that this procedure should work as well, but remember that, after installing 8.1.5, you must "tell" the products that employ RLKS to use the new instance.
See the products documentation. 

Kunal N selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Kunal N commented Nov 27 '18, 10:09 a.m.
Thanks for the reply...

Just went through the above link and i feel that it is more to do with Windows. We have RLKS installed on RHEL. Also wold like to know difference between RLKS and Rational license key server and reporting tool. I know the reporting tool is newly introduced and has features to report token and floating licenses. Just wanted to know whether we have Rational License key server 8.1.5 singly available or it is budled with Rational license key server and reporting tool.

Thanks
Kunal

Luca Martinucci commented Nov 28 '18, 5:33 a.m.

Actually, the above link provides the instructions to upgrade RLKS on Windows.

This link:
instead provides the instructions for Unix-like servers.
The instructions refer to version 8.1.3, even though the link is from the 8.1.5 guide, so I suppose that the installation steps are exactly the same, and that they just copied and pasted them from the 8.1.3 guide; anyway, the link does not state that the direct 8.1.3 -> 8.1.5 upgrade cannot be done.
Concerning the second question, RLKS is a component of the RLKS and Reporting tool.
If you don't need the Reporting tool, just download RLKS from 
As you see, there are distinct links for the different products: just download RLKS 8.1.5, and forget about reporting and administration tools and agents.

Kunal N commented Nov 28 '18, 11:03 a.m.
Thanks for this. Upgraded RLKS to 8.1.5 sucessfully.

Thanks,
Kunal Nigade

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.