It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Rose Control Units functionality in Rhapsody.

Leonardo Benevides (266327) | asked Oct 23 '18, 9:21 a.m.
edited Oct 23 '18, 10:09 a.m.

Hi Folks!

We are migrating the models from Rational Rose to Rhapsody. In Rose we have the functionality named "Control" on the "Units" menu. Is there any similar functionality in Rhapsody? ControlUnits

Accepted answer

permanent link
Edmund Mayer (361) | answered Oct 23 '18, 4:54 p.m.
Hello Leonardo,

The answer is yes.  The concepts are the same, but the implementation is slightly different.

If I remember right, Rose .cat files align with packages.  With Rhapsody, packages are saved as .sbs files (before version 8.3) and .sbsx (8.3 and later).

You can use the File > Add to Model selection to either copy packages from one Rhapsody project to another, or to reference within one Rhapsody project a package from another Rhapsody project.  The reference approach is commonly used to reuse/share packages or profiles across multiple Rhapsody projects.  See:

And you might find it useful to define a Rhapsody environment variable (see General.Model.EnvironmentVariables) and then use it as described below:

I hope that helps,
Ed
Leonardo Benevides selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Leonardo Benevides commented Oct 29 '18, 3:40 p.m. | edited Oct 29 '18, 3:40 p.m.

Hi Edmund, I guess that was my point.

I have just one more question, Is that possible to import to Rhapsody, Rose Controled Units?

4 other answers

permanent link
Graham Bleakley (611) | answered Oct 23 '18, 1:44 p.m.
Hi Leonardo,
further to Ed's response, here is a link that describes how to use the Rose to Rhapsody importer.

This is a root link to a lot of other links that descibe how to import other aspects of Rose models.
If you do not have a copy of 8.1.3 you can download it from here.

Hope this helps,

Best regards Graham

permanent link
Edmund Mayer (361) | answered Oct 29 '18, 10:01 p.m.
You cannot import individual controlled units (.cat or other).

Rhapsody talks to Rose via the Rose API.  Before you attempt the import, make sure you can open the model in Rose without errors.  If you cannot open it in Rose, then Rhapsody cannot import it.  And if Rose threw errors on the open, you can expect to have related problems (not being able to find parts of the model is common).  Fix as many problems as you can in Rose before continuing.

To do the import, it is recommended that you have the clean model open in Rose, and in Rhapsody's Rose Import dialog select Connect to import the model that is open in Rose.  This works with flat or hierarchical models that use virtual pathmaps to locate Rose's unit files.

In Rhapsody's Rose Import dialog you can select the .mdl file and select the whole project or individually check the Logical View, Use case View, or Component View.  Rose's Deployment View is not supported by Rhapsody's importer.

permanent link
Edmund Mayer (361) | answered Oct 23 '18, 11:01 a.m.
Hello Leonardo.  Rhapsody stores its models as "unit files" just like Rose except in a different format with different file extensions.  Packages, diagrams, classes, blocks, etc. can be stored as separate unit files.  As an example, the default setting has all packages as a separate unit file, and you can choose to change that for individual packages.

Rhapsody 8.1.3 is the last version that had the Rose import menu selection.  The Rose to Rhapsody import is very good.  So, you could at least temporarily install 8.1.3 in a sandbox environment/machine to do the import.  And when you are happy with the resultant Rhapsody model, open it in a newer version of Rhapsody.  Rhapsody 8.3.1 or later is recommended if using Rhapsody Model Manager.

permanent link
Leonardo Benevides (266327) | answered Oct 23 '18, 2:22 p.m.

Hi guys! thanks for replying.

We are already migrating the models from Rose to Rhapsody. And we are doing exactly as described by Edmund, We are using Rhapsody 8.1.3 to import and then we will move to version 8.3.1.

My question is that in Rose, we have the Control Unit (.cat file) and I would like to know if we have in Rhapsody something like that, if is it possible to make a controlled unit in Rhapsody.

I found this two topics in knowledge center, but I'm not sure if this is what I'm looking for.

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSB2MU_8.1.3/com.ibm.rhp.uml.diagrams.doc/topics/rhp_c_dm_project_units.html

https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/en/SSB2MU_8.1.3/com.ibm.rhp.uml.diagrams.doc/topics/rhp_c_dm_unit_characteristics_guide.html

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.