It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How do I create a new type of work item in RTC?

daryl adams (111) | asked Aug 14 '18, 2:59 p.m.

I need to create a new type of work item in RTC, based on a current work item.

2 answers

permanent link
Michael Reed (126516) | answered Aug 14 '18, 3:14 p.m.

The names of the Work Item Type is listed under Project Configuration --> Configuration Data --> Work Items --> Types and Attributes but that information is only to define a name, category, custom reference ID and any attributes you want to associate with the WI Type. Any Attributes that have already been defined for a previous WI Type can you associated with a new WI Type using the Add button --> Reuse Existing Attribute (you will need to do this for every attribute you want to explicitly use with the new WI Type. 

The more important information that makes it possible to use, and re-use, the structures used previously by some other WI Type is to reference the same exact Work Item Editor, Inline Work Item Editor, Lightweight Work Item Creation Dialog, and/or Plan Editor Preview depending on your internal use of any of those.

For example; I have a customer that wanted Enhancements and Defects to have all the exact same attributes and form layouts but different required fields and automation mechanisms built in so they could be sure to capture the necessary information dependent upon which one was created but not lose any data if it was switched from one to the other.

I hope that helps answer your question or guide you in the right direction.

Cheers!

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Aug 14 '18, 3:18 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Aug 14 '18, 3:18 p.m.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.