It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

How to require a link to ensure traceability is maintained?

Timothy Distel (73356) | asked Jul 18 '18, 12:33 p.m.
edited Jul 18 '18, 1:06 p.m.

Hello,

I am using the CLM suite 6.0.3, potentially upgrading to 6.0.6.

I was wondering how to enforce traceability by requiring a link from a work item to either a requirement in DNG or other work item in RTC. I am almost positive this does not exist out of the box and will require developing an extension. If so, would this be a complex extension? Could someone elaborate?

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.3k33646) | answered Jul 18 '18, 3:15 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 18 '18, 3:20 p.m.
You need a workm item save advisor. I would not consider it very complex. You would only have to check there is a link with the needed end point. Here posts that explore the API.

Note, you will likely not be able to detect, if such a link is removed in the other applications e.g. someone deletes it from RM or RQM. At least deleting tracks/contributes to and other cross repository links does not trigger the work item save advisor in the remote CCM. I believe that will also be true across applications. I have not tested that yet though.
Timothy Distel selected this answer as the correct answer

One other answer

permanent link
Daniel Moul (4.9k1318) | answered Jul 18 '18, 1:39 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

A simpler option than writing something to enforce this would be to use a dashboard to show items that don't match your criteria. My team uses a dashboard with two tabs for various widgets that allow us to do in informal "audit" of the quality of plan items, requirements, etc. One tab is "My process exceptions". The other is "Weekly review".

I realize enforcement up front is not the same as checking later, but it's easier and fits the need of our work flow.

Comments
Daniel Moul commented Jul 18 '18, 1:40 p.m.
FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

That said, I don't want to discourage anyone else from answering the question more directly. 

Timothy Distel commented Jul 18 '18, 3:44 p.m.

Thank you for the comment Daniel. I was thinking linear enforcement, this is actually very helpful. 

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.