It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

More than one person working on a Work Item

Peter Turvey (99130) | asked Jul 12 '18, 10:37 a.m.

I have an iteration with six work items. There are three members of the team. One is available full time, the second is available 1 day a week and the third is available two days a week.

If I look at my release plan I can change the ownership of the work items to optimise the end date. Basically by making sure that the work item that's going to take a long time is owned by the person who is available 100%.

What I would really like to do though is have all three members of the team working on a single work item and for this to be reflected in my Release Plan (i.e. the end date would be a few days earlier).
How do I do this ?

Thanks   Peter 

Accepted answer

permanent link
Ralph Schoon (63.1k33646) | answered Jul 12 '18, 11:05 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER
edited Jul 12 '18, 11:07 a.m.

You can't. A work item only ever has one owner. RTC planning is basically not designed to do what you want.

You can create three execution items that track the work for each user and make that children of the first work item. The first work item would be a plan item that does not track time at all.

Peter Turvey selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Peter Turvey commented Jul 12 '18, 11:13 a.m.

Thanks. I'll take a look at using child work items and see if that helps.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jul 15 '18, 1:09 p.m.

Yes, child work items are the way I would recommend to handle this scenario.   That way you can adjust how much time you want each person to work on this activity. 

Rohini Kumar commented Jul 16 '18, 8:13 a.m. | edited Jul 16 '18, 8:14 a.m.

I have query,suppose example I have created two contributor type  attributes named as owned by 2 ,owned by 3,then it will work?

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 16 '18, 8:22 a.m.

No, the planning does not know about these attributes and will basically ignore them.

Rohini Kumar commented Jul 16 '18, 8:45 a.m.

Thank you Ralph 

Ralph Schoon commented Jul 16 '18, 11:51 a.m.

Others, included IBM has used a custom contributor list called "Additional Owners". But that only allows the users to query their work the planning component basically does not know about this and is also not designed to calculate and track this.

showing 5 of 6 show 1 more comments

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.