It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Links on Module contained Artifacts only rather than Base Artifacts

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Jun 26 '18, 6:25 p.m.

I understand the difference between links on Base Artifacts vs Links on Artifacts in Modules.

For a simple project process I am wondering if there are any problems with ignoring the distinction.

For example if a project were conducted in DNG just as if it were in DOORS Classic would that present any problems?

To be more specific:-

Lets say we create 3 modules. Vision, Stakeholder, System

We then create all our requirement artifacts from within the module interface context.

Links are created between artifacts always using the module context. So the links are not on the base artifacts.

Assuming that artifacts are never reused in any other location then are there going to be any problems due to the fact that none of the Base artifacts have links but rather only their module presentations have links?

i.e. can DNG be used safely in a way analagous to DOORS Classic where there is no distinction between base artifacts and their representations in their module?

Comments
Robyn Riley commented Sep 15 '22, 3:50 p.m. | edited Dec 08 '22, 2:39 a.m.

I have the same question. I've found that by linking module artifacts to each other rather than base artifacts together, traceability for those base artifacts is lost. For example, a business requirement or stakeholder artifact when linked to a solution artifact within a module, only shows the traceability link within the module, not between the base artifacts. It seems to me that one would want the base artifacts to link together outside the module. I think the module artifact links should be made between a requirement and a work item in Workflow Manager. By doing this, the base artifacts aren't cluttered up with all of those links to EWM and ETM. What do others think about this scenario?

Be the first one to answer this question!

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.