It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

server side extension point which will create a new snapshot as a new change set is deliver to stream.

Himresha d (112) | asked Jun 17 '18, 8:36 a.m.

As i read in some blog, IBM introduce a automatic(light weight) snapshot creation in 6.0.4 RTC.
Stream based snapshots are much easier accessible from users .
i want to have a server side extension which will create a new snapshot as soon as a new change set is deliver (as flow up action). it should be based on metadata (only for particular streams).

I am little new to this so any way setup of server side i will do it, i just want to know implementation point of view "creation of new snapshot as a new change set is deliver to stream".
Any one who can help me on this how to do?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k23035) | answered Jun 17 '18, 4:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Probably you are thinking of the "operation history" mechanism that was introduced in 6.0.4.

See: https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/rtc/6.0.4/6.0.4/index.html#12
This allows you to view the state of a stream or workspace without needing to create a snapshot, so there is nothing to set up ... this information is just available when you want it.

Comments
Himresha d commented Jun 18 '18, 7:34 a.m.

@Geoffrey clemm , thank you for the above information . But its not my usecase

I want devlop a server side extention to create a snapshot for every delivery operation on particular streams.
My idea is :
Each changeSet which coming to stream ...recognized by my plugin and its will create a snapshot on targeted stream.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 28 '18, 12:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Creating a snapshot for every deliver operation is almost always a bad idea.   I'd suggest describing exactly why you are doing this, and then we can comment on whether this is one of those rare exceptions. 

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8594101152) | answered Jun 18 '18, 9:29 a.m.
edited Jun 18 '18, 9:29 a.m.

easiest would be to have a continuous build which can run for a change set delivery to the stream.

This will create a new snapshot on the build workspace, which you can move the ownership later to stream.

Note: you may have a valid use case but in retrospect this may not be the real intended solution you want. Perhaps some brain storming is needed? :-)

Nevertheless be careful with the server sided extensions as this may slow down the system if badly coded.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.