It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

server side extension point which will create a new snapshot as a new change set is deliver to stream.

Himresha d (113) | asked Jun 17 '18, 8:36 a.m.

As i read in some blog, IBM introduce a automatic(light weight) snapshot creation in 6.0.4 RTC.
Stream based snapshots are much easier accessible from users .
i want to have a server side extension which will create a new snapshot as soon as a new change set is deliver (as flow up action). it should be based on metadata (only for particular streams).

I am little new to this so any way setup of server side i will do it, i just want to know implementation point of view "creation of new snapshot as a new change set is deliver to stream".
Any one who can help me on this how to do?

2 answers

permanent link
Geoffrey Clemm (30.1k33035) | answered Jun 17 '18, 4:26 p.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Probably you are thinking of the "operation history" mechanism that was introduced in 6.0.4.

See: https://jazz.net/pub/new-noteworthy/rtc/6.0.4/6.0.4/index.html#12
This allows you to view the state of a stream or workspace without needing to create a snapshot, so there is nothing to set up ... this information is just available when you want it.

Comments
Himresha d commented Jun 18 '18, 7:34 a.m.

@Geoffrey clemm , thank you for the above information . But its not my usecase

I want devlop a server side extention to create a snapshot for every delivery operation on particular streams.
My idea is :
Each changeSet which coming to stream ...recognized by my plugin and its will create a snapshot on targeted stream.

Geoffrey Clemm commented Jun 28 '18, 12:26 a.m.
FORUM ADMINISTRATOR / FORUM MODERATOR / JAZZ DEVELOPER

Creating a snapshot for every deliver operation is almost always a bad idea.   I'd suggest describing exactly why you are doing this, and then we can comment on whether this is one of those rare exceptions. 

permanent link
Karthik Krishnan (8825117163) | answered Jun 18 '18, 9:29 a.m.
edited Jun 18 '18, 9:29 a.m.

easiest would be to have a continuous build which can run for a change set delivery to the stream.

This will create a new snapshot on the build workspace, which you can move the ownership later to stream.

Note: you may have a valid use case but in retrospect this may not be the real intended solution you want. Perhaps some brain storming is needed? :-)

Nevertheless be careful with the server sided extensions as this may slow down the system if badly coded.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.