It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Story changes, impact on tasks, changesets and builds

Anthony Kesterton (7.5k7180136) | asked Oct 06 '09, 7:22 p.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
Hi

This has been a bit of a debate at one of my customer sites:

At the moment, a Story links to tasks, the Tasks get associated with a changeset, and this can clearly be seen on the build record. All is good.

Now we alter the Story....new or modified tasks, the code gets changes, new changeset associated and still relate back to the Story.

Then we look back at the Story. In the history, we can see what the original story was but I don't think we can see this old story and tasks from the changeset - just the reference to the story and tasks (which are now different). It is almost like we want to freeze the story and tasks and associate them with the old changeset and build.

Should we preserve this historical "snapshot" of the whole work item/changeset/build chain? Can we do this in RTC?

Any comments or thoughts appreciated.

anthony

One answer

permanent link
Jean-Michel Lemieux (2.5k11) | answered Oct 07 '09, 11:46 a.m.
JAZZ DEVELOPER
One of the interesting use-cases for this is to tell from a story/epic, ok now what has changed that I have to review since I last looked? Or what progress has occurred on this story since last week. It's a bit hard to do that, because as you say, with links, things are a bit too disconnected.

There are two ideas in the air at the moment, the first is baselining across a bunch of artifacts and the other is feature based development.

Baselines are interesting, but I'd like to see how they scale first and what the user model would be. Imagine baselining the web, and having a time machine that showed how all the links are added/removed. Or being able to compare the "web" to what it looked like last week.

For feature based development, I'd like to make it easier to track progress at the story/epic level so that you can easily see over time how things are going, what is new, what activity has being going on. A simple example is that today, since the tasks are in the build and not the stories, it's hard to answer when a story is part of a build and what parts of the story/epic are ready for testing.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.