It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

DNG Configuration Management - pros and cons for general systems engineering

Sean F (1.3k243149) | asked Mar 25 '18, 2:54 p.m.
 Is there anybody who has used configuration management for DNG in a production environment and can give a critical appraisal of the pros and cons of enabling the feature vs leaving it turned off?
Is it a feature mainly aimed at software development and software systems management (the examples of its use seem to be all software related) or does it have useful application in general systems engineering?
I can think of examples of when you might want to use such a capability in general sys eng but I am wondering if the DNG implementation lends itself to this type of problem as well as it does to software development.

3 answers

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Mar 26 '18, 4:52 a.m.
edited Mar 26 '18, 4:59 a.m.

Sean,

I have spent a few months looking into Global config.  This is for both software and systems.

in a few months I should be able to answer your question however what is key is to define your structure of components or fine grain components within DNG and RQM;  what you Baseline and how at a Local level in the applications and then your strategy and use of Global configuration. 

The real benefits are when your development team,  use change sets (and manage change with RTC) and review as part of the deliver process.  However depending on the version of CLM you maybe restricted across components to see links etc

Takes some learning and planning and defining the Stream / Baseline Strategy for Global and Local apps

Good Luck

Matt

permanent link
Sean F (1.3k243149) | answered Mar 27 '18, 1:55 a.m.
 ^Thanks for your insights Matt.
My initial understanding was that it is possible to do RM Configuration Management (just confined to DNG) without using Global Configurations.

permanent link
Matt Muller (59813574) | answered Mar 27 '18, 2:28 a.m.

Sean,

No problem;  6.0.4 for linking across fine grained components you may requires Global Config I think. 

Depending on your version etc.

Regards

Matt

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.