It's all about the answers!

Ask a question

Why do the example RPE templates have 3 Data Source Schemas?

Sean F (939) | asked Mar 15 '18, 3:10 p.m.

RPE ships with 2 sample templates for DNG (DNG_Module.dta and DNG_Resources.dta)

Each template has 3 separate data source schemas

Module

_text

_uisketches

I have browsed the tree structure of the 3 data source schemas and cannot see any difference beween the 3

They seem to have different .XSD files specified in the schema URI filed of the schema properties

What is the purpose of having 3 schemas?

AFAIK DNG provides a complete schema for the repository when the rm/publish metadata URI is provided when inserting a data source schema using dynamic URI querying of the repository. So I would have only expected there to be one data source schema in a DNG template.

Accepted answer

permanent link
Kumaraswamy Gowda (39115) | answered Mar 18 '18, 8:51 a.m.

Hi Sean,

DNG exposes three different schemas for different artifact types. For eg, module, resources, text, etc. If I remember correctly, each artifact could be differentiated by the schema element called "format". In resources schema, format is found under dataSource/artifact path but under module schema format is found under dataSource/artifact/moduleContext/contextBinding.

To answer your question, AFAIK, for getting additional details about each artifact type, one needs to hit the particular artifact REST API. For example, module schema and its REST URL will not provide all details about each of the requirement (text or diagram or other type) in the module. Hence, an additional REST API call is needed.

DNG team has built the REST API and is available on the wiki page https://jazz.net/wiki/bin/view/Main/DNGReportableRestAPI 

Thanks,

Kumar

Sean F selected this answer as the correct answer

Comments
Sean F commented Mar 18 '18, 11:33 a.m.
Thanks Kumar.
Good link.

Your answer

Register or to post your answer.

Dashboards and work items are no longer publicly available, so some links may be invalid. We now provide similar information through other means. Learn more here.